Settings for 5812 XTR2 and regeneration questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Bannerman

Reaction score
why should i leave the capacity at 60K and not change it to 80K
Using 100% of the resin's capacity, would require a large and inefficient quantity of salt every regeneration cycle. To regenerate all 80K in a 2.5 cuft unit would require 45 lbs salt (salt efficiency: 80K / 45 = 1,777 grains per lb) whereas 60K will require only 20 lbs (3,000 grains per lb).

Reach4

Reaction score
other question, why should i leave the capacity at 60K and not change it to 80K
Frequently discussed, but still a good topic. You would need to use about 16*2.5= 40 pounds of salt every regen to get 80 K of capacity. Leaner salt doses give more salt efficiency. Leaner gives more hardness leakage.

Here are some numbers you could select from, but the 6 to 8 pounds per cubic ft of resin is the best compromise for most people.

lb total ; lb/cuft ; Capacity in 1000s
10 ; 4 ; 38
12.5 ; 5 ; 45.5
15 ; 6 ; 50.0
17.5 ; 7 ; 55.1
20 ; 8 ; 60.0
22.5 ; 9 ; 64.2
25 ; 10 ; 67.5
27.5 ; 11 ; 70.0
30 ; 12 ; 71.9
32.5 ; 13 ; 73.2
35 ; 14 ; 74.3
37.5 ; 15 ; 75.0

Bannerman

Reaction score
Turning this option on would the valve then do a regen after 30 Days even if i did not meet capacity?

Setting a 30 day override, ensures the unit will be regenerated at least 1X per month, even when there is little or no water use. During regeneration, the resin will be reclassified (redistributed) and the water within the rank is replaced, thereby flushing away sediment and debris and keeping the water fresher.

Riccardo

Reaction score
Setting a 30 day override, ensures the unit will be regenerated at least 1X per month, even when there is little or no water use. During regeneration, the resin will be reclassified (redistributed) and the water within the rank is replaced, thereby flushing away sediment and debris and keeping the water fresher.
Doesn't the water flow through the tank anyways when no regeneration is done?

Bannerman

Reaction score
When there's is no water being consumed, there will be no flow through the unit. It will be unlikely your softener will regenerate by the override setting but it is appropriate to program a reasonable setting in case everyone is away on an extended vacation, assuming the water remains turned on while you are all away.

The override setting is more often utilized for water containing iron. Depending on the iron quantity, regeneration may need to occur every few days so the override will ensure that occurs even when water usage is low.

Riccardo

Reaction score
When there's is no water being consumed, there will be no flow through the unit. It will be unlikely your softener will regenerate by the override setting but it is appropriate to program a reasonable setting in case everyone is away on an extended vacation, assuming the water remains turned on while you are all away.

The override setting is more often utilized for water containing iron. Depending on the iron quantity, regeneration may need to occur every few days so the override will ensure that occurs even when water usage is low.
Ah makes sense, when i tested my water it had only 0.1 ppm of iron in it

Riccardo

Reaction score
A red injector for a 2.5 cubic ft softener is unusual. I would want to swap it out for either a #1 white (BD=80) or #2 Blue (BD=60). While longer brine draw can increase efficiency a bit, that increase the time that the softener is in bypass. Usually injectors are selected to take about 15 minutes to draw the brine, and BD about 4x (or at least 3 x) that time. Thus BD=60 is common. The symptom of BD being too short is some extra residual salt in the first gallons from the softener after it is back in service. I would ask your dealer to send you a #2 blue injector (or a #1). Some dealers would have supplied a #3 Injector - Yellow. That is bigger than optimal for a 2.5 cuft softener.
So I will try to get a blue injector or even a yellow one. How do I calculate draw rate?

Reach4

Reaction score
So I will try to get a blue injector or even a yellow one. How do I calculate draw rate?
I would prefer your red to a yellow. White would be my second choice, but I think most people might prefer blue after study. It is close between white and blue.

The 5812 service manual has graphs on page 29. Look at the "draw" lines. The amount of brine you are drawing is ((the total amount of salt used in pounds)/3*1.15).

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
Ditttohead advised to extend the Brine Draw time to compensate for the small injector. Will the longer regeneration cycle finish before anyone rises and starts using water? If the long regeneration is complete before water is needed, you may wish to leave the supplied injector in place.

If you do change injectors, the draw time setting is normally 4 times the time required to draw the appropriate amount of brine from the brine tank. If it takes 10-15 minutes to empty the brine tank of fluid, then the appropriate BD setting will be 60 minutes.

Riccardo

Reaction score
Ditttohead advised to extend the Brine Draw time to compensate for the small injector. Will the longer regeneration cycle finish before anyone rises and starts using water? If the long regeneration is complete before water is needed, you may wish to leave the supplied injector in place.
Nobody should be up during that time of night and if so probably not using a lot of water. I read some statements from dittohead suggesting to have draw times longer as well so i might stick to the injector for now.

Bannerman

Reaction score
We are referring to usual water consumption activities, not the occasional toilet flush during the night. As the softener valve will be in bypass mode during most of the regen cycle, a toilet filling will then result in the water line and toilet tank filling with mostly hard water. Not a big deal.

As the entire regeneration cycle typically takes between 90-120 minutes, then Ditttohead's advice to increase BD time from 60 minutes (most common) to 110 minutes, will result in the regen cycle being extended by an additional 50 minutes. If programmed to commence at 2 am, regeneration may not then conclude until almost 5 am. If someone usually rises at 4 am to prepare for the day, then the longer than usual regen cycle may be a problem unless the regen start time is adjusted for an earlier time such as 12:30 or 1 am.

In adding the various 'step' settings you have shown in the chart in post #18, they total 156 minutes. The 27 minutes for Brine Fill may be subtracted as the softener will likely be able to deliver soft water to the home while brine fill occurs.

Last edited:

Riccardo

Reaction score
As the entire regeneration cycle typically takes between 90-120 minutes, then Ditttohead's advice to increase BD time from 60 minutes (most common) to 110 minutes, will result in the regen cycle being extended by an additional 50 minutes. If programmed to commence at 2 am, regeneration may not then conclude until 5 am. If someone usually rises at 4 am to prepare for the day, then the longer than usual regen cycle may be a problem unless the regen start time is adjusted for an earlier time such as 12:30 or 1 am.

In adding the various 'step' settings you have shown in the chart in post #18, they total 156 minutes. The 27 minutes for Brine Fill may be subtracted as the softener will likely be able to deliver soft water to the home while brine fill occurs.
Will change the time to 12:30, thank you much for the clarification

Riccardo

Reaction score
Hi all have the softener installed and set all the parameters per suggestions in this thread.
After a couple of regeneration I have a question about the Brine Tank.
How much Salt should be in the Brine Tank?

Bannerman

Reaction score
The brine tank can be filled to the top with salt.

The amount of brine produced each regen cycle, is controlled by the amount of water entering the tank during Brine Fill. Each 1 gallon entering the brine tank, will dissolve 3 lbs salt. Always maintain more salt in the brine tank than will be required during regeneration.

For a new install, since BF will not occur prior to the first regen cycle, the appropriate volume of water will need to be manually added to the brine tank to prepare brine in advance of the first regen cycle.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks