Setting up Kitchen Drain for New Cabinets

Users who are viewing this thread

User1

Reaction score
I'm building out new cabinets for the kitchen and I thinking of getting some plumbing set up before the countertop and sinks are in place.

When the old kitchen was demoed, the san tee in the wall broke so the contractors put in a new one and I'm left with this:

t.png
cabinet.png

One concern is the height of tee and if it'll need to be moved down. Right now, it's 13 1/2" off the floor and 14 3/4" away from the cabinet wall. I plan on having a 10" deep undermounted sink and garbage disposal. I _think_ with the pitch, it should just barely make it but would like to see if maybe I did the math wrong: 36" (cabinet height) - 3/4" (countertop) - 10" (sink) - 6.5" (disposal) - 4 3/4" (p trap) - 1/2" (pitch) = 13 1/2" off the floor

For pipe itself, I was thinking of making an offset with a couple of 22 or 45 degree angles then adding an extension through the cabinet wall. See blue lines. Is it as easy as getting some ABS pipe and cement and connecting them like legos? How far away from the wall should the hole be (horizonal distance on the cabinet wall)?

Lastly, maybe not an issue but I noticed that there isn't any sewer gas smell even though this is just an open pipe. Is that a sign that something might not be connected correctly? There are lots of other issues with this house so now I'm questioning everything.

There's no basement, just slab under the kitchen.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just look into the existing pipe and see if there's a vent up to the roof. If there is you should be good to go with a new sink even a deep one 13.5" is pretty low and should give you enough room for any sink.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
13 1/2 sounds close to what you want , I would not be raising it up.
No comment on your math but I'm going to give you another way of looking at this. You want the nut on the p-trap to be 8 1/2 inches below the sink flange if its a standard insinkerator. it really sucks to be too high but looks lame when too low and p-trap is hitting the bottom of cabinet or generally hogging up too much space. I like it a couple inches bellow the maximum
I don't get 22s or 45s ? just straight through cabinet. you definitely can't offset to change height of trap arm

User1

Reaction score
13 1/2 sounds close to what you want , I would not be raising it up.
No comment on your math but I'm going to give you another way of looking at this. You want the nut on the p-trap to be 8 1/2 inches below the sink flange if its a standard insinkerator. it really sucks to be too high but looks lame when too low and p-trap is hitting the bottom of cabinet or generally hogging up too much space. I like it a couple inches bellow the maximum
I don't get 22s or 45s ? just straight through cabinet. you definitely can't offset to change height of trap arm

The offset is horizontal so that the drain pipe is farther away from the wall when it hits the cabinet. If the drain goes straight away from the tee w/o an offset, it'll hit the cabinet where the back panel is.

I decided I'm just going to cut a big hole on the side of the cabinet and wait until the disposal is installed to make any connections. A big hole will be ugly but trying to anticipate half the drain plumbing now and the other half later is too complicated (for me).

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
The offset is horizontal so that the drain pipe is farther away from the wall when it hits the cabinet. If the drain goes straight away from the tee w/o an offset, it'll hit the cabinet where the back panel is.

I decided I'm just going to cut a big hole on the side of the cabinet and wait until the disposal is installed to make any connections. A big hole will be ugly but trying to anticipate half the drain plumbing now and the other half later is too complicated (for me).
its not that hard to figure out the disposal turns your ptrap swivels and then of cource we have fittings for the trapo arm if need be. it is hard for me at times to convey by computer but I dont want to see you make a big hole if it doesent need one. I dont reallyt understand the challenge you are up against but someone else might

Reach4

Reaction score
36" (cabinet height) - 3/4" (countertop) - 10" (sink) - 6.5" (disposal) - 4 3/4" (p trap) - 1/2" (pitch) = 13 1/2" off the floor
Add the thickness of the sink. Where does that 4-3/4 for the p-trap come from? I think you only need for the start of the trap arm to be a little lower than the discharge of the disposal. I don't think you need that factor. For pitch of the trap arm, you need 1/4 inch fall per foot, so at 5 ft trap arm length, that is 1-1/4 inches. So guess your trap arm is about 2 ft.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks