Setting up fleck 5600sxt

Users who are viewing this thread

troyc123

Reaction score
i've seen lots of post on here about this water softener. my biggest issue is how much water is in the brine tank. close to half full? i'm sure i'll not give all the right info but i will keep answering the best i can. i am no expert. i also am not really worried about it being super salt efficient.

i have 4 people in the house on a well. no iron. hardness pretty high. the profesional tested it at like 68.

Fleck 5600SXT Settings:
DF = Gal ; Units
VT = df1b or st1b not sure
CT = Fd
NT = 1
C = 96k
H = 75
RS = sf
SF =15
RC = ?
DO = 7
RT = 2:00
BW = 10
Bd = 60
RR = 10
BF =20
FM = t0.7

sticker on brine input says 1gpm and 3lbsalt/something i forget. i am clearling not where the tank is.

ok what i bought from reciept was a 5600sxt-96m-water softener fleck 5600sxt metered 96k grain capacity bypass valve 1 inch brine tank 18x40, add-mdeiagaurd kdf filter. from quality water treatment. i'm wondering mostly if i should have that much water in the tank ? or if my settings are way off? anything you say needs to be in easy terms or i won't follow it.

thanks troy

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't know if the media guard displaces some resin. I presume not.

System info (not programmed)
salt lb/cuft = 8 ; A choice ( efficiency vs capacity)
BLFC = 1 ; Brine Refill rate GPM
cubic ft resin = 3 ; ft3 resin = (nominal grains)/32,000
Raw hardness = 70 ; including any compensation
People = 4 ; gallons affects reserve calc
Estimated gal/day = 240 ; 60 gal per person typical calc
Estimated days/regen = 4.3 ; Computed days ignoring reserve

Fleck 5600SXT Settings:
DF = Gal ; Units
VT = dF1b ; Downflw/Upflw, Single Backwash
CT = Fd ; Meter Delayed regen trigger
NT = 1 ; Number of tanks
C = 72.0 ; capacity in 1000 grains
H = 70 ; Hardness-- compensate if needed
RS = rc ; rc says use gallons vs percent
RC = 240 ; Reserve capacity gallons
DO = 14 ; Day Override
RT = 2:00 ; Regen time (default 2 AM)
BW = 5 ; Backwash (minutes)
Bd = 60 ; Brine draw minutes
RR = 5 ; Rapid Rinse minutes
BF = 8 ; Brine fill minutes
FM = usually t0.7 ; flow meter, make note of what is there

Notes:
1. I used 8 pounds /cubic ft of resin because of your comment about not looking for maximum salt efficiency. Even so, the 8 will give a lot of salt efficiency. Using C=81.0 and BF=10 also works, using 10 pounds of salt per cubic ft of resin.
2. Daylight saving time is ending soon. Maybe you can find a time setting and RT that will not require you to change your softener twice per year to meet your schedule.
3. You are the first one that I remember reporting a BLFC of 1.0 on a 5600SXT softener here before. It's not a problem, but it is good that you noted that.
4. Get a Hach 5-b softeness test. When testing raw water, mix 1 part raw water and 4 parts distilled. Test that, and multiply the result by 5. Also, you can test your softened water as you are due for a regen to check for hardness bleed-through.

Bannerman

Reaction score
With 96K grains capacity, that indicates your unit contains 3 cuft of media. The largest appropriate softener specified by the manufacturer for the 5600SXT is 2 cuft.

Your 'C' setting should not be the total capacity of the resin contained but needs to be reduced. 96K is not realistically obtainable as some resin will be fractured and will wear out over time. Broken and worn resin beads will be flushed to drain during regeneration so the capacity will be less. In anticipation of this wear, while 3 cuft of resin would be considered to have 90K+ grains capacity, that setting is not normally utilized either.

Currently, the 20 minute 'BF' setting at 1 gpm BLFC means that 20 gallons is entering the brine tank. That 20 gallons will dissolve 60 lbs of salt - each regeneration cycle.

I see Reach4 has already posted some recommended settings.

troyc123

Reaction score
ok thanks guys let just stop there i will dump them setting into it tonight and give that a while to see how it works out.

thanks troy

p.s. at some point i would like to understand this mumbo jumbo but right now i am still building the house so it'll have to wait.

Reach4

Reaction score
Nice on new house. Is that KDF 85 media for H2S in the MediaGuard?

Here is some real mumbo jumbo. Troy, click Inbox above, but please ignore ignore the following. Somebody else might be able to set me straight from my confusion.

A softener tank has a 2.5" x 8 TPI. I was presuming the MediaGard goes through a standard tank opening, so I then I estimated a diameter of 2.3 inches. That has an area of 0.0289 square ft. At 5 GPM, that would be a rate of 173 GPM/sqft.
http://www.kdfft.com/pdfs/KDFProcessMedia.pdf seems to call for about 30 GPM/sqft. I am now suspecting that the tank for use with the MediaGuard has a larger opening to permit the MediaGuard to be bigger. A 5 inch diameter and 5 GPM would give about 37 GPM/sqft. But the pictures don't seem to represent such a big diameter. Where am I going wrong?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Nice on new house. Is that KDF 85 media for H2S in the MediaGuard?

Here is some real mumbo jumbo. Troy, click Inbox above, but please ignore ignore the following. Somebody else might be able to set me straight from my confusion.

A softener tank has a 2.5" x 8 TPI. I was presuming the MediaGard goes through a standard tank opening, so I then I estimated a diameter of 2.3 inches. That has an area of 0.0289 square ft. At 5 GPM, that would be a rate of 173 GPM/sqft.
http://www.kdfft.com/pdfs/KDFProcessMedia.pdf seems to call for about 30 GPM/sqft. I am now suspecting that the tank for use with the MediaGuard has a larger opening to permit the MediaGuard to be bigger. A 5 inch diameter and 5 GPM would give about 37 GPM/sqft. But the pictures don't seem to represent such a big diameter. Where am I going wrong?

Media guards separate the water into 4-6 separate chambers depending on the application. By separating the water into 4 separate paths, the flow is split allowing for better contact with the media. The backwash rate is critical for media guards function and longevity. Assuming a generic water temperature of 60-75 degrees, approximately 4-4.5 gpm is preferred. You do not size the backwash to the tank, but rather the media guard.

Reach4

Reaction score
Media guards separate the water into 4-6 separate chambers depending on the application. By separating the water into 4 separate paths, the flow is split allowing for better contact with the media. The backwash rate is critical for media guards function and longevity. Assuming a generic water temperature of 60-75 degrees, approximately 4-4.5 gpm is preferred. You do not size the backwash to the tank, but rather the media guard.
Does the MediaGuard fit into a tank with a standard opening? If so, I presume then there is some bypassing of part of the flow.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
It fits into a standard tank neck, no bypassing. The water flow is directed through 4 separate chambers of approx. 1 pound of KDF55 each. Surprisingly it works very well. We don't recommend it on larger houses but average houses... seems to work every time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks