setting shower receptor in concrete question

Users who are viewing this thread

Idoc4u

Reaction score
I have a 48" acrylic shower receptor that I will be setting onto a basement slab. I have a bag of Quikrete crack resistant concrete that I was planning to set the receptor in for support.

Is there any reason to think this is not an acceptable type of concrete to use for support?

Thank you.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You want something that won't run out and won't shrink. Most people use sand mix or deck mud. It is mostly sand with some portland cement. Cement could have some aggragate in it (stones, pebbles, etc.) which would prevent you from leveling it, and it would likely run into areas you didn't want it. Deck mud handles like wet beach sand - it does not run. Your goal is to ensure the thing is level and the voids underneath are well supported, making it seem like a monolitic structure. Stopping the possible flex makes it last longer and feel more substantial.

kailey

Reaction score
I think the aggragate in cement can prevent you surely from leaving it and the thing you need to is to support it well from beneath.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
What you use depends on how much space is under the receptor when it is set into place. If it is one that sets directly on the floor, then ANYTHING that takes up space, such as gravel in concrete, (or even the material being used), will interfere with its proper positioning. As the space gets larger, it will accomodate bigger pieces of agregate, but the the finer the material the better in all cases.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks