Setting Bathtub Floor out of level.

Users who are viewing this thread

slowgsxr97

Reaction score
Setting a fiberglass tub in the morning for my dad. I completely gutted his bathroom down to the original subfloor, 3/4" 1x8's. I installed 1/2" concrete board over the entire floor. In my alcove for the tub, it is level side to side. But I am a 1/2" out of level longways in 5 feet. This particular tub has several round supports on the bottom. It will be way to soft if I shim it like the directions say. It says mortar is optional but doesn't elaborate if thats to make the floor solid, or if I can use it to level the tub also.

Setting in the morning if I can. Can I use the mortar to level it, and how should I put it down? What mortar can I grab from menards? Any help would be appreciated.

On a side note, I installed this exact tub in my house 2 years ago. My floor was dead level both ways, and the tub still feels a little soft to me.

https://hw.menardc.com/main/items/m...5430-6030-6032-6632BathtubwithCodes6-2-17.pdf

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
IMHO, on anything other than say a cast iron tub, mortar underneath is almost mandatory. Yes, there are a few designs that are robust enough to sit and feel substantial, but they are not the norm. Put a layer of plastic on the floor, mix up some deck mud (you can often buy it preproportioned, just add the appropriate amount of water), lay it in piles, then set the tub down. Use a level and smush it in place until level, then let it sit, preferably overnight. If you want, you can also use a layer of plastic over the piles to make remodeling easier the next time. If you try to make the floor perfectly level as a slab, you'll probably have issues, so it's piles. That gives some space between when you push it down to spread out. Deck mud is more like wet beach sand than concrete.

slowgsxr97

Reaction score
Thanks!!!

Menards has something called floor mud for $14 for a 50lb bag. Is that what "deck mud" is? They do not carry the quickcrete "deck mud"

Will one bag be enough in your opinion?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I do mortar in piles that can squish outward. There is no way to do a complete bed of mortar that makes any sense. I figure out where the main part of the tub will be near the floor, set a few piles down and let the tub make the connection between the itself and the floor, conforming to both sides of the equation.
I find the high spot where the apron will be touching, and using a level mark the walls. I put my ledger board on the long wall and then shim the apron where needed.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Deck mud is a lean mix of cement and sand...mostly sand. YOu want something in the range of 4:1 sand:cement give or take a little. And, follow the instructions when mixing it. It will be weaker and potentially shrink if you get it mixed too wet. It's closer to wet beach sand. If you grab a handful and squeeze (sort of like making a snowball) if it holds together and doesn't drip, it's good.

slowgsxr97

Reaction score
Got it set today. Got a bag of sand mix from menards. Im a little worried I mixed it to dry. I will find out tomorrow how the tub feels when I stand in it. I was able to get to the front of the tub through the access panel in the closet and really form the sand mix nicely on the front of the tub. Its perfectly level each way. Hoping for the best.

Thank you all that commented, I appreciate it!!!

slowgsxr97

Reaction score
Tested it in my socks today lol. I will never set another tub without sand mix again. This thing it SOLID!!! Wish I had done mine this way. Thanks again everyone!!!

Jadnashua

Reaction score
IMHO, that many manufacturers say it is optional are just pushing for early replacements when it is omitted. Stress cracks from the flexing without it just means things will fail sooner. A CI tub will still last longer, but not everyone wants to deal with trying to carry one and install it.

petey999

Reaction score
IMHO, on anything other than say a cast iron tub, mortar underneath is almost mandatory. Yes, there are a few designs that are robust enough to sit and feel substantial, but they are not the norm. Put a layer of plastic on the floor, mix up some deck mud (you can often buy it preproportioned, just add the appropriate amount of water), lay it in piles, then set the tub down. Use a level and smush it in place until level, then let it sit, preferably overnight. If you want, you can also use a layer of plastic over the piles to make remodeling easier the next time. If you try to make the floor perfectly level as a slab, you'll probably have issues, so it's piles. That gives some space between when you push it down to spread out. Deck mud is more like wet beach sand than concrete.
Hi Jadnashua...what are your thoughts on using non shrink grout for this?

Brian94

Reaction score
Hi Jadnashua...what are your thoughts on using non shrink grout for this?

Im curious on that too. I just installed mine on saturday

Attachments

• 20190505_113800.jpg
    20190505_113800.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 602

petey999

Reaction score
Tub is really solid. I feel as if my mounds were too close or too dry. It took some effort to set it into the mud bed.
sounds like it worked out for you :).....i just did my plumbing...my dad was a plumber...i should have paid more attention when i was working with him!
I will be setting the tub this weekend hopefully.

Brian94

Reaction score
sounds like it worked out for you :).....i just did my plumbing...my dad was a plumber...i should have paid more attention when i was working with him!
I will be setting the tub this weekend hopefully.

All did except when I set the toilet. I roughed it in 15in from tub as code min speced. Well it was way too tight. I had to move toilet over and was only able to get 4.5 in before i hit floor joists, although it made a world of difference. Just wish I would have made a visual before I set it the first time.

Attachments

• 20190510_200420.jpg
    20190510_200420.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 639
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks