Setting Basement Shower Pan

Users who are viewing this thread

superchunk

Reaction score
Hi People,

Need some quick advice. We are putting in a neo-angle fiberglass shower pan in a basement bathroom. However, the concrete floor is currently ~1/4" out of level, and plumber recommended to make it more level before final install. The GC wants to just use thinset to level it out. Is thinset going to work in this application?

I'm concerned that this is not a proper use of thinset and that over time it will degrade, fall apart and turn to dust. They have already used self-leveling concrete when it was even more out of wack, but we still have another 1/4" to go. I would think using concrete again (like Rapidset or self-leveler) would be better, but if thinset is fine, I'll take it.

Since they want to work on it on Monday, it'd be great if I can get some opinions soon.

Thanks in advance...
- Mike
Portland, OR

JRC3

Reaction score
Look up what the shower pan manufacturer recommends, they more than likely direct to use thinset/mortar. Not only does it level, but it makes the base more solid and feel better under foot.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can put down mortar or thinset to install the pan. Some pan manufacturers recommend mortar mix for their pans. I like to mix it up, spread it so that the pan can mainly set on the floor and then install using a level. It sets up very quickly. Kohler was making some pans that required that type of installation.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you're out 1/4", thinset would work...if it is installed thicker than that, it tends to crack and shrink as it cures. That is not an approved method of leveling anything, though. Something that would work in this installation is Ardex's Liquid Backerboard, which is an SLC, but, in most situations does not require a special primer, which can save buying yet another product.

If the bottom of the pan has lots of waffle holes, they'll act like cookie cutters, and not end up leveling anything and that's where a mortar mix can help, since it is strong enough to fill those waffles and support it at a level plane.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks