Servicing a Fleck 5600SXT - 48k grain system

Users who are viewing this thread

CRob

Reaction score
Hi! Reading through this forum I have symptoms that seem to align with needing to replace/refurb the resin in my Fleck 5600SXT setup. Been experiencing overall pressure drop with some bigger dips over the past 6-9 months. Some neighbors have had issues with the pressure reducing regulator where the water enters the house. However, upon testing with shower, toilet and sinks - if I bypass the softener it's much better and I can flush the toilet, run a sink and take a shower with little to no pressure loss - NOT the case with the softener in service.

I installed the unit seven years ago -ordered on Amazon from AFW (Abundant Flow Water). If I'm going to replace the resin, any other "while I'm in there" recommendations? Clean and reseal or service anything in the brine unit? The controller head? Should I get a new basket, piston, or riser tube?

Finally for the media. Looks like I need 1.5 cu ft - any recommendations on the base layer (it sounds like I need to put this in before the media) and media source? Looks like 10% cross-link is the best but it's definitely more $$$. Any tips for getting the old media out? Looks like I've got some work ahead of me!

Thanks
Casey

Reach4

Reaction score
I infer you are on chlorinated city water. You must use 10% crosslinked resin to avoid failing as fast in the future.

Resin out... out of the tank? Or getting the tank outside?? Or getting the valve off of the tank.

Wet-dry vac from the top is one way to pull resin from the tank. Dumping the tank over in the yard is another way. Not harmful to grass.

Strapping the tank to a hand truck can help move a loaded tank.

You should have about 15 lbs of gravel at the bottom. Some providers cut corners to make shipping cheaper.

CRob

Reaction score
Yes, city water. The resin lasted 7 years - is that considered a fast failure rate? Getting the resin out is what I meant. I watched a few videos and a combo of something to siphon water out plus a combo of shaking the resin out and washing it out onto something to contain it looks like a good approach.

When I replace it I'll see if I've got gravel in the bottom. Any vendor recommendations that sells good stuff? Finally for a 48,000 grain 10x54 tank... is the expectation that I'd use all the 1.5 cu ft or resin? I understand there should be space in the top for when the backflush happens. Thanks!

Casey

Reach4

Reaction score
is the expectation that I'd use all the 1.5 cu ft or resin?
Yes. That will make the tank about 2/3 full, leaving space for bed expansion during backwash.

Click Inbox, above.

CRob

Reaction score
Closing the loop on this - never heard back on resin advice - so did some research here and purchased Aldex 10% resin online. Did the swap this past weekend and everything works great. New gravel bed, 1.5 cu ft new 10% resin and no more pressure issues.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks