Service weight rubber gasket leak

Users who are viewing this thread

Ulbin3

Reaction score
Besides cutting it out and replacing it.
Does anybody have any tips or tricks to fix a service weight rubber gasket leak I have it up on test for the plumbing inspector and there is a slow drip coming out of one of the gaskets.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
You could try using a chisel and beating the gasket into place. But your likley going to have to replace it.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Gasket is pinched or cast has a problem. Needs to come apart. That plumbers epoxy that comes in two part stick might work to get it passed then fix it right.

Ulbin3

Reaction score
Can you post a picture?
I don't have a picture but it's a standard underground application 4" sw cast iron bell and spigot with ty seal gaskets.
I have a test up with 10' of head and one of the gaskets is slightly leaking .I normally work with PVC for under ground and the few times I have worked with sw ty seal we had to dig up and snap the pipe with position cutters then replace with new pipe and gasket and a no hub coupling on the other side.
I was just wondering if there was an easier way .
You could try using a chisel and beating the gasket into place. But your likley going to have to replace it.
That's what
That's what I figured

Last edited:

Ulbin3

Reaction score
Gasket is pinched or cast has a problem. Needs to come apart. That plumbers epoxy that comes in two part stick might work to get it passed then fix it right.
I'm probably going to fill it once more and if it leaks I'm cutting it out thanks

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hercules Griip on install will fix the leak. Even if it has imperfections in the rubber or cast

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Out here in some jurisdictions, the sewer inspectors (special division, not the plumbing/building dept.) don't even call for water testing. They require the sewer contractor provide video evidence that the entire line has no bellies throughout the run.
If the joints look "good", they wouldn't even care about a few miscreant drips.
Even when they did call for head testing, five ft. would have been normal in the past., never 10' for outdoor.
Drips are good for the aquifer anyway.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
normally sewer test to lowest fixture height. basically floor level . Most inspectors aren't out to make trouble, but I never want them to spot a drip .

Ulbin3

Reaction score
Out here in some jurisdictions, the sewer inspectors (special division, not the plumbing/building dept.) don't even call for water testing. They require the sewer contractor provide video evidence that the entire line has no bellies throughout the run.
If the joints look "good", they wouldn't even care about a few miscreant drips.
Even when they did call for head testing, five ft. would have been normal in the past., never 10' for outdoor.
Drips are good for the aquifer anyway.
Honestly my stand pipe is only about 5 and half feet tall.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
its the height to lowest fixture . I guess if its outside in dirt a drop isnt going to hurt anything did he sighn the card?

Ulbin3

Reaction score
its the height to lowest fixture . I guess if its outside in dirt a drop isnt going to hurt anything did he sighn the card?
Yes he was in and out in 2 min.
Also on my second time replacing the rubber gasket and new pipe I felt a small nub inside the service wieght fitting. I got a hammer and chisel and it popped right off . No more leak.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks