Service Upgrade & Sub Panel Installation

Users who are viewing this thread

Grant Devlin

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am purchasing my first home in June; Looking to upgrade the electrical system. I used to do electrical work before college, but haven't done anything electrical related in a long time. This home is located in Delaware county PA for code regulations.
This 1920's colonial home has a 100 amp service. I want to install a 200 amp service to power the house. My question is what size service wire do I need for the main panel?

I want to run a 100 amp sub panel to the two car detached garage that is approximately 75 feet away from the main panel. I want to use that 100 amp sub for:
refrigerator
tankless point of use electric water heater (I think most require their own 60 amp breaker)
Maybe a 1/2 to 3/4 hp pool pump in the future
4 6 light high bay shop lights
A few separate isolated 15 amp breakers for air compressor, miter saw, welder, etc. (maybe 4 total)
Exterior driveway light(s)
Garage door opener
Standard outlet run around the garage (Maybe 6-8 outlets or so for small things like radio or cell chargers)
And have a few open slots for extra space if needed

My question for the sub panel:
What size wire do I need to run from the main panel to the sub? Approx. 75 feet (maybe more)
Is 100 amp breaker sub large enough for what i'm looking to run in the garage?

Would I need a larger main panel to support the sub? Larger than 200 amps?
Any help would be much appreciated. And please give more info if you think I need it. I can do all the work myself. I just don't know what the correct supplies are as its been a long time since I've wired a house.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Normally, you would have to submit a drawing of what you intend to do WITH the wires sizes to be building department when you apply for the permit. THEY will advise you if the wires and panels are not appropriate. Regardless of what we advise, if they are NOT what the city or inspector wants, it will not be approved and the utility will NOT be able to energize your system.

Grant Devlin

Reaction score
Yes, of course I know that I need to get permits.. I'm just looking to get a rough idea of what supplies/materials I'm in for so when I do get the house, I can be more readily prepared.

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
100A sub panel is huge for what you are going to be running in the garage. My whole house tops out at about 80A. That said, using one is a cost effective way to go and if you feed it with a 90A breaker at the house and run 2-2-4-6 mobile home feeder you will maximize your bang for the buck.

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
I certainly would not say a 100A sub in this garage is "huge", not by a long shot especially considering the water heater. I'd say it's certainly adequate.

Also, I believe PA is similar to NYS in that the building dept has nothing to do with electrical inspections. We use approved third party electrical inspectors. We do not have to submit plans with complete circuits and wire sizes for everything. Some areas will require the electrical to be shown on the plans, but the building dept has no say over approval or passing inspections.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks