service stops and bypass for rough in

Users who are viewing this thread

jvgscala

Reaction score
I am buying a simple thermostatic shower with all in one volume and temp control. My rough in choices include standard, bypass and service stops. What are bypass and service stops? Do i need them? There is no tub or hand held shower with this install. Thanks

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Service stops means the valve body has screw-driver shut-off stop cocks, so you can turn off the water right there to service the main valve. Indispensible in apartments or hotels. Not necessary in a single family home, or a condo if each unit has a separate main water shut off.

I am not familiar with the term "bypass" but I think they might be referring to a valve which has hot an cold inlets from the side and bottom, and feed through outlets for hot and cold going vertically. Useful if you have stacked bathrooms, such as a hotel or apartment.

jvgscala

Reaction score
thanks. i am going to by the standard rough in. have any negative feed back about hansgrohe thermostatic/volume controls all in one showers. they seem to be discontinuing them. i have a hansgrohe thermostatic shower that i am very pleased with.

EuroPlumber

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hansgrohe will discontinue ThermoBalance valves sometime in 2011 most likely. They have sold hundreds of thousands of them, and they are very good valves.

The next generation valve is called i-Box. The i-Box is a universal rough and will replace all rough valves they offer except for diverters and volume control valves. The i-Box is available in 2010 and is one rough for Thermostatic, Thermostatic with Volume control, Thermostatic with volume control and diverter, and Pressure Balance.

It will be slightly more expensive than ThermoBalance, but has several advantages. The i-Box comes with service stops built in. It has a fully enclosed, water tight housing that caulks to the finished wall. That means if water finds it's way behind the trim set, it can't end up in the wall and cause rot or mold. You can upgrade a pressure balance valve to a thermostatic model without changing the rough valve.

I work technical support for Hansgrohe. We take calls here all day and I can tell you that 99% of all problems with our valves is due to not flushing the construction debris and solder flux from the piping before installing the trim set. Thermostatic cartridges are protected by filters. When they get clogged up first thing, it leaves the installer or home owner scratching there head wondering why they have a problem with a brand new valve.

Avoid this pitfall, and you will be very satisfied.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks