Septic tank pump freeze?

Users who are viewing this thread

Chucky_ott

Reaction score
Hi,

This summer will be the second one at our new seasonal cottage. Previous owner had a new septic system put in and this year will be the first time any waste water will get into the pump chamber of the tank. It's still empty but the second chamber is almost full.

Does a septic tank of a seasonal cottage typically freeze over winter, where temperatures sometimes go down to -30C (average -15C) ? Should have snow cover of 2ft throughout the season.

Are there any winterizing steps I should take for the tank or pump?

thanks.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
I couldn't tell you one way or the other, depending on how deep it is and your frost line can impact it. As bacteria breaks down the solids in the tank it generates heat but is it enough to keep it above freezing? While living at the cabin during the winter you are dumping heated water into the septic system that would help.

I would call a local company that pumps out septic tanks and performs maintenance and ask them. Ask neighbors what they do. It maybe worth it to have the tank pumped out. Antifreeze is a not a good idea since it will end up in your ground and travel down into the water table. You would need to use RV antifreeze if you want to go that route.

From a google search:
RV antifreeze is non-toxic and meant for pumping into the plumbing system. Automotive antifreeze is a whole different critter. Many types are toxic, and should only be put into an engine cooling system.

Chucky_ott

Reaction score
FWIW, I just winterized my septic system today. Since there are no check valves on the septic pump or any of the pipes, I just needed to find a way to empty the pump chamber to ensure the pump would not freeze up.

I ended up buying a submersible utility pump and:
1. used the utility pump to transfer the effluent from the main septic tank to the pump chamber, until the depth of the waste water in the main tank was just below the plastic baffles.
2. used the utility pump to remove the waste water from the pump chamber to a depth of 1/2". I had a 20ft discharge hose that was able to reach a hole that I dug over the leach field.

overall, 30 minutes worth of work.

utility_pump.jpg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I spent a week in North Bay Ontario on Lake Nippising... HOLY SMOKES was that cold in January! They build an entire ice fishing village on the lake that has lights and roads with signs!

However, I've never done any plumbing work in that environment. No advice other than what was mentioned before, to ask locals what the standard operating procedure is. My ex is from there and her parents septic isnt pumped she said.

Chucky_ott

Reaction score
Update us next spring and report how it held up over the winter

No issues with the septic system this year. As noted, I had pumped out the pump chamber until only 1/2" water remained. So I really didn't expect any issues.

I did the same this year but this time, I put a water-filled beer bottle inside a bucket and dropped it in the tank. If the bottle is still intact next spring, I'll assume that the tank temperature doesn't drop below freezing. If that's the case, I won't need to empty the tank every fall.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks