Septic tank location

Users who are viewing this thread

DX

General Contractor
Reaction score
How do you locate a septic tank?

I'm working on a house and the septic works fine, no need to do anything, but the new owner has no idea where it is. Previous owner is deceased and no records. I don't see any obvious signs. I will eventually bring in a septic guy to clean it out since we don't know when it was last done, but I'm just curious how one goes about locating it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Here, the county health department has records for most of the installations. Otherwise, a pipe line locator can send his transponder down the pipe and trace its route until it reaches the tank. As a rule of thumb, here, the tank is about 15' from the house at the point where the sewer leaves the house.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I see many where someone built a deck over the tank lid....

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Do you have a basement or slab...
That is exactly what my father did in about 1950. He bought the house in '46, freshly built. Probably had no idea where the tank was, thought it was further out from the house, and built a 3 seasons room right out over it. Later, when the tank needed pumping, they had to do some exploratory diggiing, and finally had to tunnel just about a foot under the slab to find the lid!

DX

General Contractor
Reaction score
The house is on slab, no decks and no additions.

So if I call a septic guy to pump it out, he'll have to get a location guy to trace it out for him?

RRW

Reaction score
Around here they use a probe fashioned out of a piece of rod about 5 feet long. Put a right angle on one end for a handle and sharpen the other end. In the spring when the soil is wet you can put that thing down with very little effort to locate the tank.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
be sure the rod is not electrically conductive...or the obvious could happen if you pierced an electric cable.......

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks