Septic smell, tapping into upper vent stack?

Users who are viewing this thread

MAD MARK

Reaction score
Hey guys. Have a question about tapping into an upper vent stack.

Split level house. Pictures below show my fixture setup. The outside sitting area always gets a sewer smell when using anything on that stack line. Ive tried to trace down the issue with no resolve. The vent stack is located so that the prevailing winds blow it into the side of the upper level and I believe that it curls down into that area.

I was thinking about running some pipe and tapping into the upper, HIGHER/Different side of house through the attic. This stack comes out at top of house with prevailing winds blowing it away from sitting area.

The upper stack is a 3" and the one for the kitchen/basement is a 2". Is this too many fixtures on one stack? The sitting area is not pictured correctly in the side views. The overhead shows the correct location.

Any ideas before I spend $$$ and time to run about 30' of 2" through the attic and tap into the other 3" stack to see if it works?
fixtures.jpg
fixturesfixed.jpg
fixturestop.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't know if 3 inches out the single roof vent will be enough, or if you will have to increase that to 4 inch. Making that change should not add a lot to the job. A roofer can help with the roof part, unless your plumber likes that kind of work too.

I do think that with your situation, the wind could cause a flow into the high vent on the upwind side, and a flow out of the downwind side. I think that your proposed action will help, not just because the remaining vent is higher, but because there will only be one vent.

I am not a plumber.

MAD MARK

Reaction score
I will be doing the plumbing and I am the roofer. Not really looking to change the 3 to a 4.
The 2" will tee into the 3" 2 feet below roof line. The 2" will be capped off on roof.

I don't mind spending the ~$100 for the pipe and connections to try it out, just seeing if anyone had better idea or something I didnt think of yet.

I appreciate the response.

MAD MARK

Reaction score
Here is an actual picture to show the 2" kitchen vent and the one I'd like to hook into.

It better displays the wind blowing against the upper level swirling down past the sitting area patio.

20190304_095411.jpg

Storm rider

Slave to rentals
Reaction score
Where I live, the pipe has to be 12" high for snow. Our inspectors would want that vent to be either higher up the roof or farther left (as shown in your photo) so that it wasn't sheltered by the higher roof.

MAD MARK

Reaction score
Thanks for your response and thoughts.

That 2" is ~10" high, and house was built in 1981. Not even sure if it was inspected.

I was even contemplating running a sloped horizontal to back side of house, same roof, and putting the stack out there.

MAD MARK

Reaction score
I have tried 3 different "odor filters" to no avail. I have tried just the kitchen sink and dishwasher on an AAV and still stunk out the vent stack.

Is there a specific reason the kitchen has to have own?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I have tried 3 different "odor filters" to no avail. I have tried just the kitchen sink and dishwasher on an AAV and still stunk out the vent stack.

Is there a specific reason the kitchen has to have own?

The kitchen sink needs a vent to prevent siphoning of it's trap. If you add the AAV to the kitchen sink you could cap the vent through the roof, assuming the plumbing system has at least one vent through the roof.
I have not personally tried filters on venting.

I do recall visiting a friend in the Summer and noticing the horrible smell wafting down from the roof vents. More noticeable because we were out in the country away from car exhaust.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks