Septic pump noise!!

Users who are viewing this thread

mikemuscat09

Reaction score
i'll start off by saying im sorry if im posting in the wrong forum.
When i bought my house there was an addition with a sewage pump connected to the toilet, shower and sink. it makes a lot of weird noises, it gurgles in the shower up stairs and makes this "robotic" high pitch sound. The way its setup is from the pump its vented through the roof. Then on the "out" it goes throw a check valve then about 10 feet away its vented out of the side of the house, then 10 feet from the vent is the shower and tub (but there is no sound from the tub) then 10 feet from that it goes into the main stack that is vented out side once again. the shower and tub have traps, but when the trap is filled with water the water will go up and down. What could the problem be?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The tub isn't vented if the vent is ten feet away.
Max distance on a 1.5" trap arm to vent is 42"
And it has to be vented on the high side of the trap arm, not below.

The pump sump is vented seperately, that's good
The plumbing fixtures then get plumbed as they normally would. That means each fixture gets a vent.

The output from the pump, has a check valve and a gate valve so that you can service the pump. That 2" line should go into a 4" line. I've done it with a 3", but 4" is better.

mikemuscat09

Reaction score
Thank you Terry
Would a cheater valve work? and the output plumbing is only 2" front to back and its all in a straight line no slope could that affect it too?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A cheater valve is a cheap AAV made cheaply.

In any vent system using an AAV, you need one vent for releaving positive and negative pressures. If you have one of those, then an AAV can be placed in the system.
Any line drained by gravity needs a 2% grade. That would look like 1/4" per foot of drop.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks