Septic Problem - Effluent filter clogging regularly?

Users who are viewing this thread

DCL

Reaction score
I live in a house that is approx 3 years old. The house has a septic system sized for 4 or 5 bedrooms, however there are typically only one or two people in the house on a given day.

In the last year the effluent filter has clogged many times resulting in high levels inside the septic tank. A couple times this led to clogs in the pipes between the house to the septic tank and subsequent problems in the basement.

I'm unsure how to resolve this problem. Since the effluent filter clogged so often I was emptying the filter every 2-3 weeks. Recently I decided to change filters to see if that helped. I went from what I believe is a Zabel A1800 series filter to a Sim/Tech STF-110 filter. After about a week with the new filter I checked the septic and noticed the level was again high. I also saw a layer of scum deposited itself on top of the new filter I temporarily removed the filter reduce the level in the septic tank.

I've spoken with a couple of plumbers who are happy to snake a line but not are unable to diagnose the underlying issue.

A couple of notes (unsure which, if any, are relevant):
-The house has a garbage disposal but food scraps are not placed in the sink.
-The house has very hard water and a softener has been installed that drains to the septic.
-Laundry is done weekly
-Dishwasher is run a couple times a week
-The septic tank has never been pumped. As mentioned above house is ~3 years old and not many people live in the house

Would anyone have any ideas what might clog the filters so quickly?
Any thought/theories?
Any input appreciated.

Thanks -DCL

Reach4

Reaction score
The septic tank has never been pumped. As mentioned above house is ~3 years old and not many people live in the house
I would get the septic pumped. Maybe $200 to $3oo I would predict. Not only does that get rid of solids, it provides information. An experienced operator can then give you a reasonable suggestion as to how long to go until the next pumping. Let's say you could have gone 6 years. At worst, you are only paying $100 to $15o to be early, and in return you get useful info. At best, you find you should have gotten the thing pumped 13 months ago.

I presume you know where the cleanout is.

DCL

Reaction score
I would get the septic pumped. Maybe $200 to $3oo I would predict. Not only does that get rid of solids, it provides information. An experienced operator can then give you a reasonable suggestion as to how long to go until the next pumping. Let's say you could have gone 6 years. At worst, you are only paying $100 to $15o to be early, and in return you get useful info. At best, you find you should have gotten the thing pumped 13 months ago.

I presume you know where the cleanout is.

Reach4 - Thank you for the quick reply. I'll give that a try. Hopefully that is it. Even if it doesn't solve the problem, it may buy time until I've got to clean the filter again. I know where the cleanout is - Luckily its in a fairly obvious location.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Typically, the incoming waste should have time to drop to the bottom of the tank verses floating and getting to the outlet. THen, only the liquids would be trying to get out of the tank. If the leach field is clogged, the tank level will rise, and create bigger problems.

Do you know what the level of the water table is?

DCL

Reaction score
Typically, the incoming waste should have time to drop to the bottom of the tank verses floating and getting to the outlet. THen, only the liquids would be trying to get out of the tank. If the leach field is clogged, the tank level will rise, and create bigger problems.

Do you know what the level of the water table is?
Thanks for the reply Jim. I do not know the water table in the area. There are springs less than a mile away and my well is over 100 feet deep. I was concerned that perhaps precipitation may contribute to the level in the tank. Every time I've gone out to the septic tank (to date), the level is easily, but possibly detrimentally, lowered by removing the filter. That said, I should track precip/moisture and check the tank more often to see if a leach field backup is contributing to clogging of the filter. Thanks for the idea.

DCL

Atomic1

Reaction score
Wow, start simple. Have a septic contractor inspect the tank; specifically the baffles....which does require pumping. If the outlet baffle is cracked/damage, it can allow scum to outflow. Since you're at 3 years anyway, you're not out any money because that's a good interval for a first pumping to make sure the system is operating ok. He will also be able to tell you if your scum and sludge levels are off, and if anything obvious is being flushed into the system. I have seen some homeowners surprised that their wives/guests were flushing non-degradable items such as baby wipes, condoms, etc....

If it were me, i'd get this pump/inspection done immediately as you're risking dumping junk into the absorption field until you know what's going on. I error on paranoid given the costs associated with replacement of the field.

If the septic contractor does a thorough inspection and comes up with nothing, then you might start to suspect things like improper pitch of the inlet pipe (too high velocity entering tank) or investigate what is being washed in the washing machine (think of suspended clothes lint). I have seen a few other issues, but would first want to know what the tank inspection says.

DCL

Reaction score
Wow, start simple. Have a septic contractor inspect the tank; specifically the baffles....which does require pumping. If the outlet baffle is cracked/damage, it can allow scum to outflow. Since you're at 3 years anyway, you're not out any money because that's a good interval for a first pumping to make sure the system is operating ok. He will also be able to tell you if your scum and sludge levels are off, and if anything obvious is being flushed into the system. I have seen some homeowners surprised that their wives/guests were flushing non-degradable items such as baby wipes, condoms, etc....

If it were me, i'd get this pump/inspection done immediately as you're risking dumping junk into the absorption field until you know what's going on. I error on paranoid given the costs associated with replacement of the field.

If the septic contractor does a thorough inspection and comes up with nothing, then you might start to suspect things like improper pitch of the inlet pipe (too high velocity entering tank) or investigate what is being washed in the washing machine (think of suspended clothes lint). I have seen a few other issues, but would first want to know what the tank inspection says.
Thanks Atomic1. I've scheduled pumping for the end of the week. Hopefully they can provide insight regarding the levels and whether it is a tank issue or something elsewhere in the system. While the tank may technically have two access covers, only one is accessible and that is directly above the outlet. At some point it might be worthwhile to dig and see if there is a second access closer to the inlet.

Also I've looked into laundry lint possibly contributing to issues. Are you aware of how that can be handled? I've seen metal and fabric socks to catch lint but they aren't recommended for standpipe drains.

DCL

Edit: Added comment re: laundry

Atomic1

Reaction score
The septic contractor usually have mirrors to look around the inside. So unless it's a multi chamber tank, the baffle should be exposed. If not, it would be worth the expense to have the second port located....

I have a filtrol 160 by wexco that works pretty well once I figured out how to connect the machine to it. http://www.septicsafe.com/washing-machine-filter/ It filters out an incredible amount of lint

If i were to do it again, i might also consider the lint luv-r http://www.environmentalenhancements.com/index.html

Benj

Reaction score
Hello all,
We bought out house 2 years ago and also have had the outlet filter of the septic clog multiple times. I have to clean it every 2 months or it clogs. There are two tank with a T on the inlet to the first tank as well as T's on the outlet for the first tank and inlet for the 2nd tank. From what I have read, there needs to be a couple feet of pipe sticking down into the tank to be a real baffle not just a T. Does this make a major difference if there is just a T on the inlet/outlet as a baffle or is more length needed.

The first time it clogged I had a septic company come unclog it about a year ago and they said that it was a long way from needing to be pumped since it was recently emptied.

Morrow

Reaction score
Septic Problem - Effluent filter clogging regularly?
I too have been having this problem for 7 years and have had numerous “professionals “ out to check it and have it pumped more than once. It is getting clogged with the same material each time That looks like insect casings (there is a tremendous amount of sewer flies). The filter has to be cleaned almost every three months. The numbers professionals do not know what to do but they gave me a second filter so I can pop it in when I take out the other one in order to save the field from taking the solids. I am thinking the sewer flies are the problem but they are supposed to be in the septic? Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks