Septic effluent pump question

Users who are viewing this thread

s10010001

Reaction score
Sorry did I miss the septic section? I dont see one. This section looked close based on my problem.

Problem: Septic sprinklers don't push as hard as I think they should. Comparing to my neighbors.

Details:
My Pump tank has a submergible mid intake stainless pump that drives 3 sprinklers in my back yard. Since I moved in the 3 have never really worked well. I replaced all the heads with the purple septic heads and pressure checked the pvc. So there’s not a leak anywhere underground.

Inspecting the pump I noticed the pump is down in a pvc tubed there is a 45* cut in the bottom to let water in. However the pump barely fits down the tube so there is not much space to let water so I figured the pump was overtaking the water input. See pic.

IMG_5772-(1).jpg

So looking around online I can't see any reason that green tube is there. There is also a larger tray on the bottom to keep the sludge away from the pump base.

Now, I removed the green tube, inspected the pump, looks good. But when I run the sprinkelers without the green tube it spray water out the side. This strips up al the stuff I the bottom of the tank too. So I'm thinking someone put the tub on to control the side jet and band-aid the situation. See video.

Should the pump do that?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
No it shouldn't do that. There is a hole in the side of the pump letting all your water out. It looks like the hole for a screw to hold the cable guard? If so you maybe able to just find a larger screw and stop the leak. But that hole is your problem. Also the green pipe is a cooling shroud for the motor and it is important that is has a tight fit.

s10010001

Reaction score
No it shouldn't do that. There is a hole in the side of the pump letting all your water out. It looks like the hole for a screw to hold the cable guard? If so you maybe able to just find a larger screw and stop the leak. But that hole is your problem. Also the green pipe is a cooling shroud for the motor and it is important that is has a tight fit.

Thanks, I’ll pull the pump and inspect for a hole

cooling shroud? The pump is full Submergible, seems like open water would be best no? Also the intake is in the middle. Seems weird to me. The entire pump is fit down inside the tube

pump looks like this one:

Attachments

• 90E210EB-9A65-42AF-A4F5-080072A78630.jpeg
    90E210EB-9A65-42AF-A4F5-080072A78630.jpeg
    8.8 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:

s10010001

Reaction score
Finally getting around to this. Why is there a hole in the pump? Did someone drill that? It’s spraying water all over inside the septic and I’m sure it’s spilling off pressure to my sprinklers. My sprinklers do seem like they work as good as my neighbors.

how many sprinklers should that 1/2HP Franklin drive? It has 3 on it now. Plumbing for 4 but none is capped, too close to house for me. Hits my patio.

Attachments

• 4CEB8DCC-3ABC-4916-8333-B6ED8D8BE6B4.jpeg
    4CEB8DCC-3ABC-4916-8333-B6ED8D8BE6B4.jpeg
    93 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:

s10010001

Reaction score
As valveman said, I plugged the hole with a screw. Seems to be driving the sprinklers much better now. I guess I’m good? Idk.

Still waiting on a rebuilt kit for my hi low air pump that failed today, fun! Got a sweet red light glowing in the yard now lol

s10010001

Reaction score
Update on this. I got the Hiblow rebuild kit in (actually 1st party, not 12month life china crap). The Air pump is working great now! it moves a ton of air!

The Sprinkle pump is still in there with he screw in it kicking butt. My yard is even responding to the better water pressure with a more even green spread.

The septic system is recovering form the week with no air, it was getting kinda funky but its showing signs of normal now. I seem to have more little flying bugs when I open the lid now but I'm not super worried about that.

Reach4

Reaction score
cooling shroud? The pump is full Submergible, seems like open water would be best no? Also the intake is in the middle. Seems weird to me. The entire pump is fit down inside the tube
It is best to have water flow right over the side of the motor. Open water, like a lake, would be worst, except for maybe having a top-feeding well with no shroud.

s10010001

Reaction score
It is best to have water flow right over the side of the motor. Open water, like a lake, would be worst, except for maybe having a top-feeding well with no shroud.

ohh ok, well that makes sense then. I guess it won't hurt to stick it back on there. I can see how that would draw water past the motor to the input of the pump.

Why am I getting flying bugs in the last tank? Im adding the tablets to the feed back that tanks. Its like a tube hopper.

Should I maybe put some liquid bleach in the last tank too to clear that up?

s10010001

Reaction score
I just realized the threads was about the pump issues, not my air pump that just died. my bad... I never actually posted about that. I had to rebuild my Hiblow air pump recently as well. So ignore my power from this morning.

Reach4

Reaction score
Now, I removed the green tube, inspected the pump, looks good. But when I run the sprinkelers without the green tube it spray water out the side. This strips up al the stuff I the bottom of the tank too. So I'm thinking someone put the tub on to control the side jet and band-aid the situation.
The green tube is mainly acting as a flow inducer for the submersible, and is keeping the motor cooler.

It may also have some solid-filtering aspect.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks