Separate supply into the pipe to shower head...what's it for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rogeryen

Reaction score
So I ripped out my wall to rebuild my ensuite shower and I've just realized that the bathtub surround in the adjacent bathroom aside from having hot and cold supply lines to the shower valve, also has one into the pipe from the shower valve to the shower head.... does anyone know what's the purpose of it? Also every time I turn on the diverter for the shower head it could cause water hammer in the laundry room like 30 feet away, I wonder if this is what's causing it?

TIA

IMG_3151.jpg
IMG_3154.jpg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
It appears that the extra PEX tube that branches off of the shower riser disappears below the floor. The second photo cuts off at the valve, but that is what it looks like to me. Could it be connected to something at the laundry? Or does it connect to the tub spout to act as some sort of drain?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Here's a wild guess and it's a long shot. Trap primer. Trap gets filled every time someone takes a shower, lol.

The only reason to have another pipe is for another shower head.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Here's a wild guess and it's a long shot. Trap primer. Trap gets filled every time someone takes a shower, lol.

The only reason to have another pipe is for another shower head.
But the second pipe goes down towards the floor from what I can see.

Rogeryen

Reaction score
It appears that the extra PEX tube that branches off of the shower riser disappears below the floor. The second photo cuts off at the valve, but that is what it looks like to me. Could it be connected to something at the laundry? Or does it connect to the tub spout to act as some sort of drain?
Yes it does (along with the two other PEX connected to the valve) disappear below the floor... I'll add photo later

I guess I misunderstood it as a supply line (doh) but it actually diverts water when the diverter is pulled...?.... but why?

Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
One way to go about finding out what it does is to simply cap it off and see who complains. Done that a few times in old commercial towers. If nobody, then forget about it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks