Separate Cable for Neutral?

Users who are viewing this thread

SAS

Reaction score
I installed a 220 volt timer that controls my hot water heater. I tapped into the existing wiring, which did not have a neutral - just two hot wires and a ground. I would also like this timer to control the hot water recirculation pump; that requires a 110 volt circuit. Since there is no neutral, I would either have to 1) run a new cable with a single white wire, 2) use the existing ground as a neutral, or 3) replace the existing run from the timer to the panel with a cable with 3 wires plus a ground. Using the ground is the easiest, but I suspect it is a code violation. Running a separate cable for the neutral is not a big deal, but if I do that does the cable size have to match the existing cable?

Stuff

Reaction score
With a few exceptions all wires must be in the same cable.
What about changing to a 240v pump?

Reach4

Reaction score
Is there no 120 volt circuit nearby that you could power the pump with? If not, maybe while running wires anyway, you could put in a new 120 volt circuit and add some handy outlets while you are at it.

You could use a separate timer to control the pump.

Last edited:

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
NEVER use the safety ground as a neutral! (Indeed a code violation.)

Using a separate wire for the neutral can work, but it MUST follow the SAME path as the hot wiring the full distance from the breaker panel to the load. If the hot & neutral are run along different paths covering a large loop area it creates an inductive loop antenna, emitting gobs of low frequency magnetic emissions whenever that load is active that can interact with everything from dimmers to home entertainment electronics. (Want a whole bunch of staticky 60Hz hum in your audio?)

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
I would leave the recirculation pump alone unless it runs 24/7. You placed a timer on the water heater to disconnect power assuming it is during the hours when no one is home. Is the pump on a sensor switch that only runs when water is in use? If it is why bother. If it is running all the time just get another 120v timer for it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks