Self-vented electric dryer

Users who are viewing this thread

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
I thought I'd already posted this... not sure of the brand, but a client of mine got one of these last year. Combi washer-dryer, I don't recall the brand...

Near as we can tell, it uses cold water to condense the moisture. At least that's how it seems, because it definitely uses some cold water during the dry cycle.

Takes forever & a day to run a load, but she loves it (tiny NYC apartment, no easy way to vent, etc) because she doesn't have to shlepp to the laudromat anymore (62 years old, 5th floor walk-up apartment)

marksmithjones

Reaction score
I have a Bosch condensation dryer (Bosch "Axxis") in my condo as well as the matching washer. The washer is front-loading and highly energy efficient. The dryer does not need to be vented to the outside. Rather than blowing hot humid air out a vent, it runs the humid air through a condensation unit which removes the moisture and pumps it down the drain (the same standpipe used by the washer). The drying time is about the same as with a traditional dryer. Contrary to what another poster indicated, it is highly energy efficient. I can honestly say it is the best dryer I have ever owned and recommend it highly.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You'd have to show me the specs...I find it hard to believe that both heating the clothing, then running a dehumidifier is more efficient than venting the hot, moist air outside. Admittedly, it is a viable alternative when you can't exhaust it outside, but energy efficient...show me. It becomes more useful with a high efficiency, front loading washer, since it can spin faster and extract more water out of the clothes before they go into the dryer, but still...

marksmithjones

Reaction score
My comments: The condensing unit sort of looks like an automotive radiator and is also referred to as a "heat exchanger". The condensing unit itself does not consume power....essentially hot humid air from inside the dryer is collided with dry cool air drawn in from the room. I'm probably not explaining that technically correctly, but that's the gist of it.

Below is a description from a Bosch buyer's guide.

What is condensation drying?
Condensation drying is an enclosed drying system that requires no outside venting or ducting of hot air.

How does the condensation drying system in the Bosch WTL5410 work?
Dryer air is heated by the heating element. The heated air extracts moisture from the clothes and is forced through the condensing unit. Cool dry air is pulled in at the front and drawn through the condensing unit. Moisture from the hot, moist air condenses when it intersects with the cool air at the condensing unit, extracting moisture. Dry air is returned to the drum, not vented to the outside. The cool air flow is vented into the room and constantly replaced by new room air. The condensed water is automatically pumped out.

From Ottawa ON

Reaction score
Does the room get warm?

I'm very curious to know whether the ambient temperature of the room increases when the dryer runs. In a medium size apartment, no noise from the machine is good, but if the room gets hot.... well that wouldn't be good.

Anyone at there who actually owns/uses of of these who can say? I haven't seen anyone speaking about this.

thanks.... :eek:)

Last edited:

Bill Arden

Computer Programmer
Reaction score
Website
www.billarden.com
I've been tempted to use one of my "high vacuum" vacuum pumps...
But it would take a bit of energy and possibly freeze the clothes due to the evaporation.

From a thermodynamic point of view, the goal is to remove moisture without wasting energy.

A heat exchanger could be used to remove moisture using less energy.

Then there is the reusable moisture absorbent packets.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
From a thermodynamic point of view, the goal is to remove moisture without wasting energy.
The best way I've found is, sadly, banned by many homeowners associations:
clothesline.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks