Self draining spigot for garage

Users who are viewing this thread

aswetich

Reaction score
I want to install just cold running water in the garage at my snowmobile cabin. I only use the cabin on weekends so I need a way to prevent freezing during the week. I looked at installing a frost free hydrant but installing it in the garage with a concrete floor is a no go. The well pit is less than four feet from the garage so could I just install some type of electronic valve in the pit to drain the line when I leave ?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
They make hydrants that are mounted in (often covered) pits that drain out the bottom when closed. The depth of the pit and the design of the cover would dictate whether it froze or not. What's the frost line where this is? That type of hydrant is often used in places like farms where you need water out in the middle of nowhere, but it needs to be kept from freezing, so the actual shutoff is way down the vertical shaft and it drains the entire vertical section when shut off. Often, they are a spring-loaded on/off, and don't have any volume control. http://www.woodfordmfg.com/Woodford/Yard_Hydrant_Pages/YHInstall.html is an example of what I'm talking about.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks