Selecting an alcove, apron-less, flanged bathtub

Users who are viewing this thread

Jim Hamilton

Reaction score
Long time reader, first time poster. I just finished my first bathroom gut and remodel where the forum was invaluable in researching ideas and best practices. I'm now moving onto my second bathroom remodel. I have everything squared away, with the exception of the bathtub. I'm trying to hone in on the best solution with the following criteria:
  • Alcove installation with the drain on the right. The alcove walls will be tiled. I have basement access under the tub and subfloor.
  • 60" long, and can support up to 32" wide
  • Tub will be primarily used as a shower, with infrequent use as a tub for kids and grandparents
  • The wife likes the look of a tiled front, so I don't want an integral apron.
  • I'd like an integrated flange on the 3 sides based on my reading, ie I wouldn't feel great putting a drop-in tub in then adding my own flange.

An image of the concept would look like the following (but with a right drain vs the left that's shown):
m_35ebe0cdbcb8.jpg

My googling has put the following tubs at the top of my list. I listed the pros and cons based on my online reading, but would greatly appreciate the input of others who have more experience or thoughts.
1. Kohler Underscore. K-1121-R-0.
Pros: I tried one at a showroom, and it felt relatively sturdy.
Cons: Most expensive of the options. It's hard to justify an extra $400-$500 vs the other options unless there's a compelling reason.

2. Kohler Archer. K-1946-R-0
Pros: Relatively inexpensive.
Cons: I'm worried about the durability / ruggedness. The 30 inch Archer tubs appear to now be made of ExoCrylic where other models are the older "standard" acrylic. The reviews online worry me that the ExoCrylic is more flimsy than the previously used acrylic. Additionally, it looks like Kohler removed the "arm" rests in the 30" Archer line, which I'm guessing makes the sides feel flimsier yet. (Compare the K-1946-R-0 to the
K-1123-RA-0 for an example of the difference). I don't want to special order a tub only to find its sides flapping in the wind... I do plan to use a mortar bed FWIW.

3. American Standard Studio. 2973.112.011
Cons: I don't know much about American Standard tubs. Visually it has a larger lip than the other models.

4. Duravit D-Code. 700405
Cons: I can't find any Duravit bathtub reviews, install videos, etc. Kind of an unknown, but looks nice on paper. I can't see the color in person to match against my white tile.

I have a hard time finding much info on the Duravit model in particular, let alone seeing it in a showroom to try it out. I'll likely be ordering the tub online so want to reduce the chance that I'll be returning the tub due to surprises in quality, or similar.

If I had a gun to my head today, I'd go with the Duravit based on fear of a flimsy Archer, Duravit's decent reputation, and it's lower price than the Underscore. Any input on the ruggedness of Kohler's ExoCrylic Archer, Duravit, American Standard, or something else not on my radar would be much appreciated. Thanks again for the great site!

Gatorchick

Reaction score
Did you end up ordering a tub? I need an alcove tub but not sure if I need to order an apron less one for adding wood paneling-plus I want the framless glass to sit on top. Any suggestions?

Jim Hamilton

Reaction score
Did you end up ordering a tub? I need an alcove tub but not sure if I need to order an apron less one for adding wood paneling-plus I want the framless glass to sit on top. Any suggestions?

Sorry for the delay. Yes, I did end up ordering a tub, but I chickened out on the acrylic apron-less model. I wasn't comfortable with the Archer flexibility, and didn't want to deal with the potential return headache of the Duravit or American Standard models since I couldn't try them out. I ended up going with a Kohler Bellwether K-838-0 cast iron tub. I would have preferred the look of the an apron-less front, but the Bellwether fit the bathroom style OK, and I felt more comfortable that it'd be a long lasting, rugged option.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks