Seeking advice on basement plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

Mikejurasw

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum, and don't have pix yet of my project, but I'm hoping you can give me some guidance in principle on this as I get started:

1) 1920's home, with three soil stacks connecting to 3 six-inch clay horizontal lines under the slab, all of which meet (of course) before leaving the house in one six inch main.

2) There had been a stand-alone toilet (flange and 4 inch clay closet bend still in floor), but it's in the wrong place for my remodel.

3) I would like to put in a shower/toilet/lav. bathroom, roughly where two of the horizontal drains start to converge, so good options to tie in.

4) my question is about venting. The old toilet had no vent; it used (I assume) the soil stack as its vent, being about four feet away. Can I also assume that the stacks will function as vents for my shower and toilet. In both cases, I would drop down (through a trap, in the case of the shower) into the horizontal six-inch clay, both of which can be traced upstream to a four-inch soil stack. Wouldn't these be the 'mother-of-all-vents'?!

Thanks for any help. Pix when I can get them uploaded.
Best,
Mike M

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
No. A drain stack isn't a vent and cannot be one.

dwv_b2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
You need a proposed layout with the existing piping shown. A plan view diagram is OK, but it can't show detail workout an accompanying elevation view. Isometric is better.

Mikejurasw

Reaction score
From IPC: SECTION 913 WASTE STACK VENT 913.1 Waste stack vent permitted. A waste stack shall be considered to be a vent for all of the fixtures discharging to the stack where installed in accordance with the requirements of this section.

My point is, not that I want to use the stack for a vent, but does it function as a vent? I know I'm a hobbyist at this, so it may be a matter of semantics, but I have 4 toilets in my house and none are individually 'vented'. They attach to the stack and the stack vents through the roof. Would not a basement toilet, discharging down through the floor into the drain line also enjoy the same privilege as the two crappers above it? Just wondering!

Thanks for your patience with a DIY'er.
MM

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
From IPC: SECTION 913 WASTE STACK VENT 913.1 Waste stack vent permitted. A waste stack shall be considered to be a vent for all of the fixtures discharging to the stack where installed in accordance with the requirements of this section.

My point is, not that I want to use the stack for a vent, but does it function as a vent? I know I'm a hobbyist at this, so it may be a matter of semantics, but I have 4 toilets in my house and none are individually 'vented'. They attach to the stack and the stack vents through the roof. Would not a basement toilet, discharging down through the floor into the drain line also enjoy the same privilege as the two crappers above it? Just wondering!

Thanks for your patience with a DIY'er.
MM
No. The toilets are vented through the stack that's the up, the down is the drain once it's a drain is not a vent. The section your referring to is a snippet of the code and not in context with the fixtures your talking about.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Waste stack venting is something Ive never dealt with it allows wet venting from floor to floor if I understand correctly you might be able to figure it out if its usage in your code there in Cleveland . never seen it in use or heard detail on its practice

Mikejurasw

Reaction score
Thanks, John G for the clarification. I think I understand now! Appreciate your patience. So, as far as my options, I think I'm looking at some sort of AAV (permitted in Ohio) in one of the walls. Does it matter if it's upstream or downstream if the fixture?
MM

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Waste stack venting is something Ive never dealt with it allows wet venting from floor to floor if I understand correctly you might be able to figure it out if its usage in your code there in Cleveland . never seen it in use or heard detail on its practice
No toilets on those.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks, John G for the clarification. I think I understand now! Appreciate your patience. So, as far as my options, I think I'm looking at some sort of AAV (permitted in Ohio) in one of the walls. Does it matter if it's upstream or downstream if the fixture?
MM
An aav needs to be installed in an accessible location. And should be above the flood rim of the fixture.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks