Seeking 14" rough-in, low height

Users who are viewing this thread

missab

Reaction score
Hello, I've got an old house with a 14" rough-in. A previous owner had the insight to build a counter directly over the tank. Clearance beneath counter is 30in. Current toilet is 28 "high, 18.5 wide with 2 inches clearance on the left side thanks to the sink cabinet. The height particularly leaves not much room for repairs unless i call the plumber in.

I am contemplating replacing the toilet with a new, lower tank version that will allow for more room to work, but I'm having trouble finding something that meets all the requirements (14" rough-in, 25 or less height, probably maximum 20 width). Was almost set to get the Kohler Rialto but I'm afraid it will be too wide.

Oh, and it should flush well! :)

Any ideas?

Thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tank

The measurement from the center to the edge of your current tank is about 9 3/4" adding the 2" gap makes it 11 3/4 to 12 inches which means the tank would have to be 24" wide which is more than any tank I have seen in years. But, you will not find it in a 14" measurement that I know of.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Check out the Toto brand. Check the listings for ones that use their unifit adapter. The standard one comes with a 12" adapter, but they make 10 and 14" ones. Same toilet, different adapters that connect it to the floor and the flange.

missab

Reaction score
hmm...

I'm looking again at my current toilet, and wondering if it is itself a 12" rough-in rather than 14" - it's an American Standard 4083 from 1985. It seems to not be completely up against the wall.

I've looked at the Totos - the few that seemed to fit the space were all 12" or way over budget. If I go with a 12" I know it'll stick out from the wall - is there anything else to worry about? Or is that the only concern?

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Measure from the flange bolts straight back (perpendicular)to the wall - that is what they talk about when they are refering to the rough-in. Most toilets have a gap behind them to the wall when installed at the specified rough-in. Some have more than others.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can always install a 12" rough toilet on the 14" drain location.

It will set out 2" more inches than the standard (+/-)3/4" distance you would see normally from the wall.

If you want to pull the toilet back to gain space in the room, you can use the Toto 1-piece toilets that use the Unifit adapters. They will come with the 12" but the 14" can be ordered extra.

Pricing is a relative thing. If your're looking at the Dorian, then you're up there in pricing to be sure.
What you get is good performance, looks, quality and a compact design.

ms914114-01.jpg

https://terrylove.com/pdf/toto-dorian-specs.pdf

Last edited:

missab

Reaction score
ah, so that's what I've been wondering - the unifit adaptor helps with asthetics but isn't necessary then. The dealer I was talking to basically told me I couldn't get the Bristol or Supreme Toto because they were 12. Since I have the counter there anyway, the gap between the wall and the toilet doesn't matter much to me.

I think the previous install was a 12 rather than 14, though my rough-in is definitely 14.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
For the Totos that use a unifit adapter, it is not optional - it is required. The adapter fits on the toilet flange, the toilet sits on the adapter. Different length adapters let the same toilet act as a 10, 12, or 14" rough-in depending on which adapter you use. Not all Totos use this adapter, some are more "normal" and are cast for specific rough-in dimensions.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
jadnashua,
I believe what missab meant, was that he now understood that the 12" toilets would indeed work there with the only problem being that they would be farther from the wall. He can live with that.

Thus, the Unift adapter models were not mandatory but rather optional in his case.

missab

Reaction score
update

I've decided to go with the Toto Supreme round bowl, now that you guys have assured me that the 12" with work with my 14" rough-in situation. It's the height that I was really worried about, and this one seems perfect in that regards. The counter above should hide the gap between the wall. Picking it up tomorrow, plumber installing on Thursday. Merry Christmas to me! :) Thanks for your help!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks