Sediment/Water Filter Replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnSop

Reaction score
We have a Kinetico water softener system with a whole-house Kinetico sediment filter at the main water pipe before the softener. I want to replace the sediment filter because Kinetico wants nearly $80 for their paper proprietary filter and it doesn't last very long. I've checked everywhere for a generic equivalent and can't find one.

What do you recommend for an affordable sediment filter or 2 stage water filtration? I'm talking more from a lumberyard or online source. Preferably no more than $300-400 range.

My first requirement is that the filters be affordable and that generic filters might be available so down the road we are not in a bind again. We have a small amount of iron/mineral in our water that discolors the shower calk and plastic stall seals over time. Water tastes great already and is from a top notch regional water works. However it is pumped 5 miles up to our city...like the other suburbs.

Reach4

Reaction score
What is your sediment situation? Do you need to swap cartridges often? If there is a lot of course sediment, there are self-cleaning filters.

4.5 x 20 filter cartridge size is generic. The PENTEK-DGD-5005-20 may be a good cartridge/element for many There are smaller ones if that is way overkill. Pentek Big Blue filter housings of that size can accept those filter cartridges. Avoid off brand housings. Don't use cellulose filters on well water. Put in a 3-valve bypass, or at least keep extra o-rings on hand. You don't want a problem o-ring disabling your water system.

JohnSop

Reaction score
What is your sediment situation? Do you need to swap cartridges often? If there is a lot of course sediment, there are self-cleaning filters.

4.5 x 20 filter cartridge size is generic. The PENTEK-DGD-5005-20 may be a good cartridge/element for many There are smaller ones if that is way overkill. Pentek Big Blue filter housings of that size can accept those filter cartridges. Avoid off brand housings. Don't use cellulose filters on well water. Put in a 3-valve bypass, or at least keep extra o-rings on hand. You don't want a problem o-ring disabling your water system.

Attached are pictures. There is no course sediment. Every few months I rinse out the filter and replace every 6 months. Aside from the filter the salt bin's water looks awful murky/dirty and gross so I have to change it out too. House is only 20 years old.

See how the filter has smaller cylinder on the top that screws into the top of the filter cover and then you slide the filter case over it and tighten. I can't find those filters in generic form anywhere. filterunit.jpg waterfilter.jpg watersystem.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Attached are pictures. There is no course sediment. Every few months I rinse out the filter and replace every 6 months. Aside from the filter the salt bin's water looks awful murky/dirty and gross so I have to change it out too.
I see a water meter, so I infer that you have city or water company water. Is it chlorinated? Probably, but I am not sure everybody with a water meter gets treated water coming in.

I see your filter is before the softener. I see a tee before the filter housing. I expect you run unfiltered water to your outside hose bibbs.

Your filter has a valve that sends blue PEX to your sump, right? Is that valve just to let off pressure before accessing the cartridge?

I understand that you would prefer to find a cheaper cartridge compatible with your current filter housing. I have no info on that.

Last edited:

JohnSop

Reaction score
Yes city water. It is just a pressure relief valve off the filter. Actually I just as soon replace the whole thing with another brand of sediment filter that has a more readily available...and cheaper filter OR replace it with an affordable 2 stage filter system...sediment and Iron/mineral. Don't care about keeping the current sediment filter unless someone can come up with a generic equivalent to Kinetico's.

Reach4

Reaction score
A 4.5 x 10 may be plenty for city water. It is not as heavy, when full, to change the cartridge. The weight is only important for changing at arm's length, such as reaching across a brine tank. You can interchange 20x4.5 and 10x4.5 sumps on the Pentek BB housings.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
The Atlas Filtri has an available drain port, very popular as it allows you to drain the filter out prior to a filter change.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks