Sediment in need shower head

Users who are viewing this thread

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Will there you go it's likley not scale. It's your water heater. Time to replace it and think about treatment if you care to extend the life of your new one.

Reach4

Reaction score
I stand corrected. I guess that they expect their water to often go thru lead pipes.

https://www.mwra.com/04water/html/qual4concerns.htm#hardness also says "MWRA's drinking water has a hardness of approximately 16 milligrams per liter, or 1 grain per gallon. " So that also surprises me.

Yes, 9.x pH probably contributes to scaling. The treatment solutions are acidic.

btPlumber

Reaction score
The tank and all internal components are 316 stainless. I was wondering of a high ph would corrode SS – I then found a paper that looked at minimizing corrosion of 316 ss for water piping in nuclear rectors – they recommended an even higher ph of 11 - so it doesn't seem like the tank or drip tube or heat exchanger coil should be failing after 15 or so years. I'm going to call Heat-Flo on Monday - there most be a sacrificial rod under the cover like they show on the newer models.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
The tank and all internal components are 316 stainless. I was wondering of a high ph would corrode SS – I then found a paper that looked at minimizing corrosion of 316 ss for water piping in nuclear rectors – they recommended an even higher ph of 11 - so it doesn't seem like the tank or drip tube or heat exchanger coil should be failing after 15 or so years. I'm going to call Heat-Flo on Monday - there most be a sacrificial rod under the cover like they show on the newer models.
15 years is a long time. Why do you think it should be good? They are only warranty for 10.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks