Sediment filter location in a chlorine injection well water system

Users who are viewing this thread

AaronAJO

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I have put in a chlorine injection system on my well. I also added a 2nd pressure tank to help with water pressure. Before there was just 1 pressure tank and the 5 micron sediment filter.

Within a week or two after changing the 5 micron filter, it seems to clog quickly perhaps from oxidized iron. I have measured the pressure drop with the shower running.
pg 1: 60 psi
pg 2: 24 psi
Perhaps moving the filter after the retention tank would prolong its life?
1. Is there a better location for the sediment filter?

Since I have a retention tank will most sediment settle to the bottom where it can be drained off every month? It is plumbed so that water enters the bottom and exits at the top.
2. Do I even need a sediment filter?

Water system layout 3-26-22.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
I would like the sediment filter after the carbon. You can remove the cartridge from the filter housing to not clog. I suspect the empty filter housing will accumulate rust over time.

I would inject the chlorine right before the contact/retention/settling tank IF you are doing proportional injection. Proportional needs a flow sensor. The reason is you do want that tank to collect the rust/sediment, which you will wash out of the blowdown port.

I suspect that you do not plan to do proportional injection, but rather inject at a fixed rate whenever the pump runs. Normally that implies injection before the single pressure tank. The idea of two pressure tanks with injection between is a novel idea for me. I am not decided on my opinion.

AaronAJO

Reaction score
I would like the sediment filter after the carbon. You can remove the cartridge from the filter housing to not clog. I suspect the empty filter housing will accumulate rust over time.

I would inject the chlorine right before the contact/retention/settling tank IF you are doing proportional injection. Proportional needs a flow sensor. The reason is you do want that tank to collect the rust/sediment, which you will wash out of the blowdown port.

I suspect that you do not plan to do proportional injection, but rather inject at a fixed rate whenever the pump runs. Normally that implies injection before the single pressure tank. The idea of two pressure tanks with injection between is a novel idea for me. I am not decided on my opinion.
Thanks for the response.

You are correct that I'm injecting at a fixed rate whenever the deep well pump runs.

The main reason I added a 2nd pressure tank was to relieve some of the strain on the deep well pump. It was only running for 17 seconds with the single tank. Now it is around 1 minute run time and runs much less often.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks