Sediment filter - do I need it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jarniscipus

Reaction score
I am on a well and have a small inline filter (photo below) after the well tank and before the irrigation feed and the water conditioner - a Hellendbrand iron curtain and then a Hellenbrand promate 6 softener. It works great. I clean the pre-filter every few months and there usually is about a tea spoon of fine silt in it at most. I am replumbing everything so now I am thinking about it - my question is do I need this filter, if i removed it would the backflushing of the iron filter and softener be able to deal with this or is this pre-filter truly protecting my system and i must have it? It seems like it is just something to clog up if the conditioners can handle it or this stuff just passes through my fixtures.

inline filter.JPG

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I had one of these following my contact tank for a year or so, until the bottom threaded end of the housing snapped off as I was opening the drain valve. I kind of liked it while it was working, but I didn't replace it. My experience suggests that if you do continue with it, be sure to include a 3-valve bypass around it just in case.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Screen filters are great as they catch the heavier fines that the following equipment may have difficulty in removing during the backwash cycle. That being said I prefer the Lakos Twist II Clean. http://www.impactwaterproducts.com/videos

Agreed on the 3 valve bypass, all equipment should be able to be bypassed. You can live for a little while with dirty water, hard to live without any water...

Jarniscipus

Reaction score
Wow that thing looks pretty sweet - does it really clean well? I am the guy in their brochure that scrubs the other filter and it is a PITA and I too am concerned about breaking those cheap inline filters...thanks for the tip - now that brings me to the next component, the water conditioner which I will have to post another thread for - but do you guys know an honest and reliable mail order source for me to have my water tested so I can then figure out purchasing new conditioning equipment - I rent mine, buying is the next step...

Jarniscipus

Reaction score
Awesome and thank you , I am familiar with KAR from my profession, they are a solid lab - we can certainly trust their water test results and that is a good price for all of those tests

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks