Sediment Filter Check - Is it Doing its Job?

Users who are viewing this thread

Krishna Boppana

Reaction score
Hi - I am paying a bit more attention to my well water system now after I got hit with replacing the Radon pump. The pump is about 8+ years old. It collected a lot of iron over the years. I have a sediment filter, softener. I use a 30-micron sediment filter. My guess is there is suspended iron in the water that is getting through the sediment filter and softener. I got the softener straightened out.

In the raw water lab tests from a week ago, the iron is 0.07 mg/L. It is well below EPA's recommended 0.30 mg/L. Please see the 5-week old sediment filter image, it collects a lot of iron and rust. I am not sure how a used sediment filter looks like. I only know mine. I replaced this 30-micron filter with a 5-micron filter, hoping it does a better job. After softener and Radon, the water is very clean in the house. Any advice/thoughts/experience on this kind of issue?

IMG_6159.jpeg

Reach4

Reaction score
Please see the 5-week old sediment filter image, it collects a lot of iron and rust. I am not sure how a used sediment filter looks like.
Looks like it has a lot more time on it to me. However it does not seem to have as many pleats as I would expect.

The red iron is ferric iron. The ferrous iron cannot be stopped by a sediment filter.

Do not use cellulose cartridges on unchlorinated well water. Polypropylene and polyester are the most common for well water.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks