Sediment coming in house more

Users who are viewing this thread

sandy cup

Reaction score
1hp above ground well pump for home. average depth for my area is 50/60'
I asked questions last May about sediment coming from well into house. we had well guys out and they did the turn on spigot for about 15 minutes and the bad sediment problem stopped until now. Now it is even worse, i have to empty out the Rosco filter once and sometimes twice a day. Our choices are a new well or adding a sleeve. well guy says casing could be cracked somewhere. Of course there is no guarantee it will work. he said the sleeve goes (inside) the well pipe.
My questions: regarding the sleeve, Do these sleeves go all the way down? I've read about casings that are only 5 feet and they cover a submersable pump,I havn't found any information for my situation. pump is above ground. could you give me an idea on how far they actually go? If they only go for example 5 feet and if there is a hole in casing farther down? do any of you have any luck with the sleeve idea? Have any thoughts?
and what i cant understand, if there is a hole in casing, how does the sediment issue slow down so much and we have clearer buckets and sandier buckets.
Same thought on a bad well, how would the sediment not always be an issue.
its my moms place, she is on a fixed income, I help fix what I can.
thank you

Reach4

Reaction score
Usually a liner would go all of the way down, but they might have to first get the sand out that has settled already. There are things that only cover a zone, but I suspect they are thinking of a full length thing. You would of course confirm before buying.

I think a casing that only goes down part way is for when the rest of the way is rock.

Rather than a hole in the casing, it may be the slots were bigger than the sand. I hope the liner would have smaller slots but big enough to pass enough water. They may put gravel between the existing well and the liner. That gravel is not what you picture when you hear gravel, but instead it would look like course sand carefully sized to mostly not go through the slots. How old is the well?
1hp above ground well pump for home. average depth for my area is 50/60'
May we presume there are two pipes between the pump and the well? While getting the liner, you could also consider a submersible pump. That would be quieter. A 1/2 hp submersible will pump at least as well as as a 1 hp jet pump, and be much quieter. For a submersible, the liner would need to be at least 3 inch.

I am not a pro.

I think you mean Rusco. https://www.rusco.com/spin-down-and-sediment-trapper-filters There are filters that can hold more sand, and there are filters that dump the sand on a timer.

Last edited:

sandy cup

Reaction score
The well is approximately 27 years old. Pump is about 4 years old. The pipe coming out of ground bringing water that you see is approximately 2". I attempted to attach a photo of setup, hope it goes through

Attachments

• IMG_20210710_201129940_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210710_201129940_HDR.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 128

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not sure what you have. How about a landscape format photo..

See my markup of your photo attached.. In your new photo include G, D, J, H and the stuff to the right of G and H.

My best guess is that you have a 2-pipe deep well jet system. But then, I wonder, why would your have check valve C. You could also have a "single pipe" system. In that case I would still wonder why check valve C exists, and there is no way you could add a liner. Did the guy who proposed a liner have knowledge of what your existing well is?

Then I wonder if it might be a shallow well resembling the well point picture. That would need the above ground check valve. A foot valve is a check valve and screen combined.

index.php

Attachments

• IMG_5.jpg
    IMG_5.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 123

sandy cup

Reaction score
Thank you for labeling the pump, makes it easier.
Yes, 2" single pipe coming out of ground. I dug down about 8"next to pipe to see if the pipe got larger, it does not. Just to satisfy my curiosity. That is one reason this is confusing, how in the world could they put a smaller diameter pipe in there and still be able to bring up water. I did mention to him on phone we had an above ground well with a 2" pipe. He said that's fine. Maybe he was focused on the above ground well part.
Letter J is the pipe that goes over to the bladder

Attachments

• IMG_20210711_102448224_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210711_102448224_HDR.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 114

Reach4

Reaction score
So G feeds the house, and does not go to the well. You have a shallow well.

So 2 inch pipe. I am not sure you don't just have a sand point driven into the ground. Maybe the well guy knows of a finely perforated pipe that could be inserted into a 2 inch sand point pipe.

Usually after a spin-down filter, you would want a cartridge filter for the finer stuff. Rusco makes bigger filters that would hold more sand. And there are the filters that can periodically clean themselves.

A new well would be a big investment, but if done right, would be sand-free. It could let you use a submersible pump.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks