Securing wire and electrical tape

Users who are viewing this thread

xtorq12

Reaction score
Sub. pump installation, securing 12/3 wire to poly pipe every 10 feet:
Should I use zip ties and electrical tape or just tape?
What is by far the best brand and grade? Is Scotch 33+ good enough?

Thank You,
Al

Raucina

Reaction score
Scotch 33 is just incredible. I have pulled it off after 7 years in water and almost re-used it. Anything else is foolish and turns to slush.

Speedbump

Reaction score
I use an inexpensive electrical vinyl tape that is less than less than $0.50 per roll. It works great. I have never used tie straps and wouldn't because of the pinch they would cause on the wire. If they were two inchs wide they might be ok.

bob...

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
Also nylon rots eventually in water. Tie wraps are generally nylon I think. That is also why any ropes in the well should be polystyrene or something.

R

Rancher

Nylon Rots?

alternety said:
Also nylon rots eventually in water. Tie wraps are generally nylon I think. That is also why any ropes in the well should be polystyrene or something.

I did a web search on nylon rotting, I didn't find much, I think the reason you use polyethylene for water use is that it doesn't stretch as much as nylon. I could be wrong, can you provide a source for the rotting problem? I know nylon sun rots from the UV rays but most tywraps that are black are UV protected with carbon black.

Rancher

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
No I can't supply a reference. I just remember finding this info while I was in the "stuffing things down the deep hole" phase. I believe I saw multiple sources for this, but I really am not sure. I used tape and polyelethlyne. Unfortunatley I got my level sensor stuck about 120' down a 620' hole. Maybe someday I can drop a camera and try to navigate to the bottom of the well.

Raucina

Reaction score
I dont know about your wells, but mine are a place where the sun never shines. Thus the UV reduction of nylon or poly or black or white seems irrelevant. With thousands of plastics out there, we dont know the formula of the ties in any case. I do know the scotch #33 is American virgin plastic. Anything American made relating to virgins is okay in my book, And I dont mind tasting it in my water.

If one puts the wires in the "V" of the tie formed at the head, does not pull it tight with pliers, and uses tape too for vibration issues, I think its a good mix.

I dont think the asian tapes made from the ground up back seats of old Buicks and Ramblers [where the American girls ceased to be virgins] and water buffalo hoove-hide glue is the best choice.

Just my small and of course un-biased opinion.

I have sketched a fabrication system for years for well drop pipes, where one would put the pipe on a [long!] rotating jig and build a custom pipe- wire- standoff assembly in a few minutes to order that would beat anything made in the dirt and dog dung of the average yard.

Send me a royalty when it happens.

Which reminds me. 20 years ago woodworkworkers supply had a best new product contest, grand prize 30$ I submitted my sketch of the collet type quick change drill bits and drivers. I won.... I got 30 bucks. Now every tool box has my idea in it - they marketed it and resold it a hundred times.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
nylon

Nylon does not "rust" in water, and I think you would have a hard time finding a nylon pipe. Polyethylene is used because it is light and comes in a continuous roll. Steel and PVC are also sometimes used.

R

Rancher

hj said:
Nylon does not "rust" in water, and I think you would have a hard time finding a nylon pipe. Polyethylene is used because it is light and comes in a continuous roll. Steel and PVC are also sometimes used.

Oh sorry I was thinking polyethylene vs nylon as in the safety ropes sometime used. And you're right I've never seen a nylon pipe either... wonder why?

Rancher

Speedbump

Reaction score
Nylon seems to hold up better than polypropalene rope does in the sun. We use 5/8" poly on our pump hoist and the sun does a number on it in several months. The reason we use rope instead of cable, is for the snap you get when running the walking beam to jar things loose when needed. Poly works great, where nylon which stretches about 40% just won't work at all.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks