Securing a wobbly PVC stack

Users who are viewing this thread

penobscotman

Reaction score
I just cut the last bit of CI out of my 4 inch stack, replacing it with PVC joined with Fernco sleeves. Now there is a bit of wobble that wasn't present when the CI was locked with riser clamps. I haven't yet connected branch lines to the stack and I expect that these will reduce the wobble. But until then is there some way of clamping/securing the PVC stack? I assume that the iron riser clamps are inappropriate.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
One thing that may be part of the problem is the "Fernco sleeves" you used to connect the PVC. Typically, the term "sleeves" implies the neoprene sleeves that are clamped on each end with a hose clamp. These sleeves are not code for above ground use for the very problem you are having. They do not provide a ridged connection. The proper sleeved connectors are called "banded couplers" which have a solid clamp the full length of the sleeve. By the way, "Fernco" is a brand name and applies to all sorts of connectors made by Fernco. All of that said, you still should use riser clamps to firm up the pipes.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Now you know why "Fernco" sleeves are NOT allowed inside the building, either under the floor or above it. Use ProFlex, (not No-Hub couplings), or similar "banded" couplings and the riser will be rigid.

penobscotman

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I will replace the flexible (that's the problem!) couplings with the rigid banded couplings. I looked at both at HD, and it seemed to me that the flexible couplings, with 4 inches top to bottom had more bearing surface than the the banded couplings. I need to go to a real plumbers's supply.

So it's OK to use iron rider clamps? There is no danger of over-tightening and shattering the PVC?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The rubber couplings only "bearing surface" is the area UNDER the clamps, which is relatively small. You could use a 2" long hose and get the same "bearing surface" and maybe more rigidity because of less area to "flex". Do not use N0-Hub couplings because the PVC pipe is slightly larger and the couplings have to "distort" to stretch over it. Use couplings specified for, made to, the size of the PVC.

penobscotman

Reaction score
Thanks to all who responded. I did what you said - proper Fernco shielded fitting, gently tightened riser clamp and now everything seems nice and rigid.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks