Securing a 3 handle faucet for PEX use

Users who are viewing this thread

John Donohoe

Reaction score
I’m renovating my old shower/tub and am trying to keep the retro look by using a 3 handle faucet (like shown below). The challenge is I want to use PEX so I need to secure the rough in. Has anyone done this before? Is there a best practice and/or bracket that you could recommend?

Thanks

Pfister-01-31XA.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
In the old days, you might have installed that valve with galvanized pipe, or maybe copper pipe. You would secure the pipe to the backing and it would be solid.
Those valves haven't been code for over thirty years now. But then with how everything is changing, I'm guessing that whatever Guatemala does will be good enough for the US. The last time I was there, everyone was carrying guns everywhere you went too. Not hand guns, rifles.
Good question though. Since back in the olden days they used rigid pipe, you strapped the pipe. Now the new code approved valves have holes that allow you to screw the valve to the backing.

Do you think we will have plumbing codes in the future? I'm guessing not.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If it's up to Trump...we'll revert to the wild west since federal requirements are an anathema, and thus should be thrown out.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Terry,
Why do they market a faucet that doesn't meet code?
These faucets are in stores, all over the internet and possibly in many plumbers' inventory in their trucks.

Just like fireworks. They ban fireworks but allow selling them ?!

But to answer the poster's question: you can run a wood blocking from stud to stud in the back of the faucet, then secure the faucet to the backing on both sides of the diverter.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You could use that faucet legally in probably a sink with a wall-mounted control, the diverter maybe going from spout to spray attachment.. There is at least one state that makes it illegal to sell, import, or install a non-compliant faucet, but no federal requirement that stringent. When it comes to something like car parts (lights come to mind, along with say mufflers), in the fine print, they say 'for off-road use only', but lots of people install them on their road cars. There may be a similar 'warning' on the valve's documentation.

Personally, I think it's kind of dumb to avoid the useful anti-scald tech. Note, you could probably install a pressure balance valve on the supplies, and technically meet code, but the complication and cost seem kind of over the top to maintain an old look. If you want or need to pass an inspection, the easiest way is to use an all-in-one solution.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks