Secondary Septic tank or liberty sump pump for extra bath?

Users who are viewing this thread

Simb

Reaction score
We are adding a new bath to house with existing septic system. New bath is at lower elevation and will need to pump slightly higher to be able connect to existing drain (which goes to current septic tank). I checked with local plumber and he suggested another small septic tank and then use a pump to push to current drain. Quote is extremely expensive (30k) while we do all the trenching and digging. This is no go for me, since I am very handy and can do most plumbing myself, I am curious if I should go with another small septic tank or actually go with a self contained 40 gallon liberty sump pump system. This will be a full bath and will see regular use. Total distance from bath to tank location will be around 20 ft, distance from this tank to current drain is another 20 ft with total elevation gain of around 20 inches. Suggestions - Small septic tank and pump or liberty sump pump system?

Reach4

Reaction score
We are adding a new bath to house with existing septic system. New bath is at lower elevation and will need to pump slightly higher to be able connect to existing drain (which goes to current septic tank). I checked with local plumber and he suggested another small septic tank and then use a pump to push to current drain. Quote is extremely expensive (30k) while we do all the trenching and digging. This is no go for me, since I am very handy and can do most plumbing myself, I am curious if I should go with another small septic tank or actually go with a self contained 40 gallon liberty sump pump system. This will be a full bath and will see regular use. Total distance from bath to tank location will be around 20 ft, distance from this tank to current drain is another 20 ft with total elevation gain of around 20 inches. Suggestions - Small septic tank and pump or liberty sump pump system?
I don't know how much height you need, but a rear outlet toilet could help. It would not help the tub/shower.

If you run a new pipe in the yard, I think you can get 1/8 inch fall per foot approved with 4 inch pipe.

Simb

Reaction score
I don't know how much height you need, but a rear outlet toilet could help. It would not help the tub/shower.

If you run a new pipe in the yard, I think you can get 1/8 inch fall per foot approved with 4 inch pipe.
Thank you, yes considered it but it won’t help with shower and sinks as you mentioned.

Martin Boring

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have installed a couple of the self contained sump pump systems and they worked well. The only thing you need to watch is to make sure your current septic system is rated high enough for two bathrooms. A lot of the older septic's aren't rated for adding more bathrooms and won't pass code inspection to add a bath room.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
A sump pump is designed to pump just water such as ground water or effluent. Effluent is the liquid that comes out of a septic tank. Depending on your site you could set a septic tank followed by a pump tank and then pump to your existing system or a new drainfield. It's nice when all that sort of stuff is outside. For $30,000 they must have to hand dig the septic tank and pump tank holes, rent a crane to reach over the house so they can set the tanks or they just don't want to do it. You could install a sealed tank with a solids handling pump. It is better to send chunks to the septic system. Personally I'd go with a Zoeller sewage pump that passes 2" solids. They have single and double pump systems. You should be able to buy it and install it for a 1/10 of what you were quoted, even if you installed a 2 pump system.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks