Secondary arrester with 2 wire well pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Vinmassaro

Reaction score
I’m replacing an old unsafe wiring box setup at my well tank that goes out to my 2 wire well pump. There is a secondary arrester device wired to both hots. There is a ground wire my electrician added that is bonding a copper pipe coming out of the wall. Do I need this secondary arrester anymore? Thanks.

FE4A274C-FF45-4F39-B068-D1B110005DAF.jpeg
38840350-3A21-4BC3-A524-076F9AFC2539.jpeg
7E6B1947-30A8-4EB7-BDE0-EC189015F4F6.jpeg

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
It's a surge protector which is always good to have. If the electrician didn't remove it he probably assumed it is still good. The green wire is a ground and it will not protect against a surge. Problem with these old ones is there is no way to test if they are good or not. Since it is bakelite it is probably a carbon block surge protector maybe at least 50 years old and the manufacture is still in business. If anything I would replace it. The way it is wired is actually protecting your entire home. I recently installed one in my breaker panel that takes two slots for 240 volt protection. Some can be connected with pigtails to a breaker inside the panel.

https://www.lowes.com/pl/Whole-hous...quEC3VGEP9etX2CEUdBoCtyoQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

FYI... When old fashion analog telephone lines were brought into the home or at the customer interface, carbon block surge protectors was standard and it still used where some may have an analog line. The one below was quite common and having an older home in CT, I'll bet you have one in your basement probably wired up with nothing connected.

upload_2021-5-18_15-59-7.jpeg

Vinmassaro

Reaction score
Thanks for this info, good but of history! I have not seen something like that anywhere in my basement. I will take a look at the whole house ones and toss this old one then.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks