Second pressure tank question

Users who are viewing this thread

i82much

Reaction score
We have two pressure tanks in our system. The first is connected directly to the well, in the basement of our house. The pipes running out of the house feed a separate shop building that also has a pressure tank.

The well switch is set to 40/60 using the pressure gauge on the inside tank. For reasons I don't understand, the pressure tank in the shop fills up to about 65 PSI when the well pump switch shuts off. That pressure tank also only drops to 54 PSI or so before the well pump switch cuts back on.

Right now I have 37 PSI of air in both tanks. I am wondering whether I should bump the second tank up to 51 PSI or so, since that would be 3 PSI below the lowest pressure that tank ever sees?

Thanks!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Elevation difference and friction loss between the two tanks causes the tanks to fill at different rates. You could also have a discrepancy between the gauges. Tanks in different location are usually not recommended. However, when using a Cycle Stop Valve it is OK as the CSV fills the tank(s) at 1 GPM and there is no friction loss at such a low flow rate. Although you certainly don't need two tanks when using a CSV. One very small tank would be sufficient because the CSV delivers constant pressure and the pump does not cycle regardless of tank size.

i82much

Reaction score
Is it worth adding some air to the second pressure tank until I can get a CSV installed? Could be a few months.

Reach4

Reaction score
First I would see how the readings on the two water pressure gauges compare when the pump is off and there is water pressure.

Then I would want to know what those gauges say when water pressure is zero.

So if your shop is down a hill, then raising the precharge on that could make sense. But otherwise, I would wonder if one or more of the pressure gauges is off.

EDIT: I don't think your hammer method will work. Do see if they are both light when water pressure is zero.

i82much

Reaction score
Yeah I just bought a new gauge, going to see if that changes anything. Also going to take a hammer and see if I can guestimate the water level in both tanks.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A hammer is not the way to test the water level in a pressure tank. Put on new gauges and read while everything is idle. Adjust the air pressure accordingly, but err about 5 PSI lower than normal just to be safe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks