Second pressure tank on shared well

Users who are viewing this thread

Sapficoman

Reaction score
Hi all
We are on a shared water system. Our neighbor has a large storage tank fed from well pump in his basement which then pumps into a large pressure tank also in his basement. This pressure tank feeds three properties.

We are thinking of putting in a pressure tank at our house to enable us to have some storage capacity in case the water is shut off. Do I need a check valve on the inlet to my tank and do I need a pressure switch?

Many thanks

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
A pressure tank stores very little water and is almost empty much of the time. Murphy's Law states it will be almost empty when the water supply is cut.
If you want want to store water, you need a non-pressurized storage tank with your own pump to draw from it.

Reach4

Reaction score
I could see having a pressure switch blow a horn to tell you to conserve water. Then have a pressure tank able to deliver some drinking water and some toilet flushes for a few days. No laundry or yard watering. Minimal showering.

If you wanted more, then an atmospheric tank with a pump would be called for.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
An 80 gallon pressure tank only holds 20 gallons of water. If you wait for a low pressure alarm or horn to blow, it won't have 5 gallons left in it even with a low air pre-charge in the tank. With your own storage tank and booster pump an alarm on the incoming supply would tell you the well is down and you only have what is left in your storage tank. But that storage tank could be 1000 gallons or whatever you want and last a long time.

LOW YIELD WELL_ CENTRIFUGAL_PK1A.jpg

Sapficoman

Reaction score
Many thanks all. Sounds like a holding tank and booster pump is the way to go. I guess with a booster pump we would also get more consistent pressure.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Not only consistent pressure but also whatever pressure and volume you want versus what is out of your control.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks