Seated ofuro baths

Users who are viewing this thread

Mad Plumber

Mad Skills
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
My wife and I live outside of Boston, and we are trying to put together the various pieces of a bathroom remodeling project. One part that has us completely stumped is the bath. We want to have a separate bath and shower, but do not have quite enough room to make it happen without making the room crowded. We then stumbled upon the idea of installing a seated soaking bath -- are you familiar with these baths? They tend to roughly resemble a teacup with a seat in it, so they are quite deep, but take up limited floor space -- perhaps 42 inches in diameter. You sit in them much like a chair with your legs "down" rather than "out" as they are in a traditional tub. They are based on the Japanese ofuro.

Here is our dilemma: here in the East, nobody is familiar with these seated soaking baths. When I search online, the only ones I see are make of copper, brass, teak, mahogany, concrete, or some other non-standard bathroom material. What we are looking for is a seated soaking bath that is made with traditional fiberglass / acrylic, or cast iron with porcelain.

Don

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Don,
I installed one of these for my parents 30 years ago,
And they still make them.

japanese-soaking-tub-terrylove-02.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks