Sears Water Heater needs new Thermocouple....

Users who are viewing this thread

R

Risa

hello,
I have a 3 year old model #153331840 Sears Kenmore Gas water heater, and the hot water isnt working, it seems to be the thermocouple. I need Part #: 9007872 but Sears will take a week to ship it to me, so someone suggested home depot. they dont cross reference model numbers with Sears. What am i looking for at Home depot to be able to get a universal one. Iis it the length or anything else that I must compare and make sure my new one has...I did not take the old part out....and dont want to do it myself..HELP me please

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you're not going to DIY, then just call an appliance repair person. These guys work on all brands and will know exactly what part you need. Sears is not the only place that will have the part, and a repair person will know exactly what you need and will get if for you. Chances are, he'll have one in his truck already.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There are NO "Sears" parts. You get parts for the company that made the heater. At various times State and A.O. Smith made their heaters, but I do not know about now.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just a tag on HJ's comment. Sears does not "make" anything. Their products are made by manufactures that puts the Sears or Kenmore label on them.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Various water heaters use different lengths thermocouples, so you need to know the size in your heater. You mentioned you don't wat to DIY, so call a plumber. Even getting a replacement under warranty takes a few days, and most folks don't want to be without hot water for that long.

R

Risa

If you're not going to DIY, then just call an appliance repair person. These guys work on all brands and will know exactly what part you need. Sears is not the only place that will have the part, and a repair person will know exactly what you need and will get if for you. Chances are, he'll have one in his truck already.

Happy Fathers Day to all of you..
I have been told the one i need is 21" and its left threaded and no one stocks that one because i guess not many sales for the SEARS water heaters...and they have 25" not 21" i have called all of my local and distant stores...Home Depot is a universal, but they have only 3 and none of them are for mine... Its a real racket i see.. cost me 58.82 for part and 23.99 to expedite shipping so i can have it tuesday...I am appalled.....and pissed of...

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I can't comment too much more than I already did. You seemed to feel the need to find the part you needed yourself rather than just calling an appliance repairman as I suggested. Would he have had the right part? I don't know, but his business relies on being able to get parts quickly. Buying your own parts and then wanting a professional to install it never is a wise idea. Repairmen usually won't warranty parts they don't provide, and labor will often be more since part of their payment is derived by buying parts wholesale and selling retail. And, what part of HJ and my comments about Sears not making anything themselves did you not understand? Sorry, but I think you have brought this misery on yourself.

R

Risa

I can't comment too much more than I already did. You seemed to feel the need to find the part you needed yourself rather than just calling an appliance repairman as I suggested. Would he have had the right part? I don't know, but his business relies on being able to get parts quickly. Buying your own parts and then wanting a professional to install it never is a wise idea. Repairmen usually won't warranty parts they don't provide, and labor will often be more since part of their payment is derived by buying parts wholesale and selling retail. And, what part of HJ and my comments about Sears not making anything themselves did you not understand? Sorry, but I think you have brought this misery on yourself.
I said i have called around to all the plumbing stores and asked a few plumbers in my town....They all agree that Sears seems to make it where u can only by their left threaded themopile assembly... i dont bring on my own troubles as i have done my homework and have checked and called all over...Thanks , but your attitude sucks....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks