Sealing Toilet Bottoms

Users who are viewing this thread

motonutz123

Reaction score
Hi,

I just bought an American Standard toilet and the instructions say to put a bead of sealant around the toilet base and then turning it over and installing the toilet. I would think that doing that would prevent someone from seeing any leaks if the wax ring leaked and make it harder to remove the toilet if there was a leak. What would be the reason to but sealant on the bottom of a toilet?

Thanks for your replies.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Think boys or men with bad aim.

I read a sign in a Chinese restaurant washroom.

We aim to please.
You aim too, please!

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Don't put any sealant on the back side of the bowl then if the wax leaks you will see it before it can causes water damage.

John

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Use a latex caulk, not silicone which is too difficult to remove. As noted, this is to prevent water from getting under the toilet. Some plumbers caulk all the way around, but most leave the rear open. The caulk also helps keep the toilet from moving.

polyseamseal_clear.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

motonutz123

Reaction score
Thanks John and Gary for your replies. Caulking and leaving the back of the bowl open makes lots of sense and using latex caulk in this application makes sense also.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks