Sealing shower grab bar, tile crack/chip after installation

Users who are viewing this thread

Csel

Reaction score
I hired a handyman to install a Moen grab bar in my porcelain tile shower yesterday, and am not sure exactly what he did, but I don’t think he sealed behind the escutcheon plate. I thought it would be a simple matter of putting screws into the reinforcement wood behind the tile, but my husband said he heard a lot of loud drilling and hammering. When I returned home, I found a small crack in the tile above the plate and some chipping near the edge of the plate. It doesn’t look like it’s sealed and I was wondering how to seal any holes or cracks and chips after installation. Needless to say, I should have followed my late father’s advice that you shouldn’t hire a boy to do a man’s job, but I’m having surgery soon and didn’t do my usual research. Any advice would be appreciated.

Would Plumber’s Putty or waterproof/mold proof clear silicone sealer work better?

What would be the process for sealing the escutcheon plate?

How can I seal and camouflage the small crack and chip?

If I decide to hire someone to fix this, would a plumber or a tile installer be best equipped to seal and camouflage the crack/chip correctly?

Thanks in advance!

A3A130E1-3BB2-4CDE-BACF-E6020664F02D.jpeg
533903F6-0D05-4D2C-9523-C3FC67852ABD.jpeg

gaps after the

Onokai

Reaction score
You want to get that cover off (yourhandy amde joe bobed that for sure) use flexible clear sealant with some mold protection in it. They made many types from mold free silicone to clear titebond with mold inhibitors. Tape off the area you do not want it one so its a clean job afterwards install cover. I sued silicone under cover predrilled holes and nothing shows. It cracked as the screw was to big for the hole drilled. You need to get that sealed as well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks