Sealing shower grab bar, tile crack/chip after installation

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by csel, Feb 24, 2021.

1. csel

csel New Member

I hired a handyman to install a Moen grab bar in my porcelain tile shower yesterday, and am not sure exactly what he did, but I don’t think he sealed behind the escutcheon plate. I thought it would be a simple matter of putting screws into the reinforcement wood behind the tile, but my husband said he heard a lot of loud drilling and hammering. When I returned home, I found a small crack in the tile above the plate and some chipping near the edge of the plate. It doesn’t look like it’s sealed and I was wondering how to seal any holes or cracks and chips after installation. Needless to say, I should have followed my late father’s advice that you shouldn’t hire a boy to do a man’s job, but I’m having surgery soon and didn’t do my usual research. Any advice would be appreciated.

Would Plumber’s Putty or waterproof/mold proof clear silicone sealer work better?

What would be the process for sealing the escutcheon plate?

How can I seal and camouflage the small crack and chip?

If I decide to hire someone to fix this, would a plumber or a tile installer be best equipped to seal and camouflage the crack/chip correctly?

Thanks in advance!

A3A130E1-3BB2-4CDE-BACF-E6020664F02D.jpeg 533903F6-0D05-4D2C-9523-C3FC67852ABD.jpeg gaps after the