Sealing pump wires in artesian well?

Users who are viewing this thread

hystat

Reaction score
I have a plumbing company trying to seal this after installing a new pump and 3rd attempt still leaking.
I have a sometimes flowing artesian well in a pit (3 tiles deep I think), and the pump is connected to a pitless adapter down in the 6" casing. Coming out of the new well seal cap is: a stand pipe with a vacuum breaker in it, an over flow line (1") that tees and goes 2 ways- one 3/4 line goes out and around the house to dump in the sump drain line - running down and connecting to big O that runs almost to the lake. The other 3/4 goes into the house and through the basement and connects to the same sump discharge. This indoor 3/4 line has a heat line and comes in for the winter as the other one around the outside would obviously freeze.

ok, the first kid installed the cap with the wires just coming through and that leaked (so did his misconnected pitless oring-and so did the well seal - pit was filling big mess-up)- the second plumber came and fixed the pitless connection, and didn't like the way the kid did the wires so he replaced the wire "grommet" with a 1 1/4" hose that has the wires in it and brought it up above the other overflow lines.

That didn't work - the 1 1/4" was the path of least resistance compared to the other overflows so the pit was filling again.

Today he came back and installed a TEE in the end of the 1 1/4" wire hose that has a compression type wire nut on the end and a vacuum breaker on the branch.

Water is still leaking out the compression seal and running off the wires.

The other issue I have, is that hose is going to fill with water in the winter and freeze as it is right near the top of the pit.

What is the proper way?

I wish I had studied the old cap- there was never a drop of water in this casing for the last 15 years- I don't know how the wires were sealed but it worked.

I guess part of the issue is the 3/4" lines - they were no issue before, but maybe they'll need to be bigger now -there is a check valve in each one because they tee into the sump discharge I suppose - don't want sump back feeding the well .

Last edited:

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
You should stop the flowing water....and not waste it. That would be the best method. On a residential well that only had about 5' head (and a homeowner that didn't want to spend much money), I took a well seal, and used two part epoxy to bring a stub of wire through the seal....then used a shrink kit under the seal and wire nuts above....I put in a vacuum breaker on the seal with a vent. I let the epoxy sit overnight. It has been in about 5 years and never leaked a drop. If you want to do it right....get rid of the pit all together....I know of 2 commercially available remedies that will stop the water flow so you don't have to have a waste line, and allow for the wiring to extend....Baker monitor standard pitless unit can be ordered with a flowing well assembly to stop the flow. Also there is a company that makes what I believe is called a well buster (google it)...that is a device to stop a flowing well that would be installed just above your existing pitless adapter.

Justwater

Well Drilling/Service
Reaction score
i've also done the epoxy thing a few times. i usually just get a couple feet of wire and completely epoxy it into a 3/4 nipple say 6" long overnight. then tighten the nipple into the seal, heat shrink the wires under it. tighten the seal up and should be good to go.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks