Sealing main penetration thru foundation wall

Users who are viewing this thread

Ben Laing

Reaction score
Howdy-
Go easy, I’m a tradesman but not a plumber.

I have a poured basement wall from the 50’s with a 3/4 galvanized water-main coming through it. Outside, pipe is below grade. Inside is accessible. There is some mineral staining below the pipe that will be covered with a wall after Im confident the penetration is sealed.

I have dug out the exterior to seal the outside and have run into some challenges.

The pipe runs directly under a drain line(touches it) and then it runs underneath a part of the concrete wall which noses out and forms a kind of trough. I’ve never noticed a foundation wall with this feature so I have no idea what to call it. It looks like it is meant to redirect moisture.

Problem is that the pipe touches all along the under side of that concrete trough before going into the wall. Underside of trough is about 5” deep.

So between all this crap in the way it’s hard to get in there and impossible to see what I’m doing without excavating drastically. But my concern is more that because the pipe touches the underside of the trough I’ll never really get the outside sealed even if I Had access and could see what I was doing. Is sealing from the outside a lost cause?

Also want to ask if yall think it’s a problem that the main touches the drain- as in will condensation/moisture transfer? Should I consider retrenching the drain to somewhere else? It comes from a gutter so I might even just collect it in a barrel for now. Just wondering if it’s a potential problem.

So, on the inside I was going to inject something into the hole(maybe epoxy?). The pipe is quite snug in the hole so product would need to be squirted out of a very small aperture, like a syringe, in order to really get in there. Are there any products like this? I know about Smith’s penetrating epoxy which would go in there, but it’s more formulated for sealing rotted wood.

Also wondering if putting a french drain under the main line on the outside is worth doing?

So
1 is sealing the exterior a lost cause? (Without replumbing it I mean)
2 should I not worry about the drain line touching my main line?
3 am I committing a crime against plumbers if I glue that fucker in with epoxy?
4 is there something I’m not thinking of?

Any ideas yall have for me?

thanks yall

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks