Sealing a 5-inch CI toilet flange

Users who are viewing this thread

Greg Hartley

Reaction score
I am replacing a toilet for a 5-inch ID (yes, I measured it) toilet flange that is connected to a 4-inch pipe. The depth from the flange surface to the top of the pipe is 2-3/8 inches. I've read about using silicone for the Dutchman fix, but ABS is only 4.5 inch OD - how do I seal the annular gap? This seems too large for silicone. Would a layer of 1/4-inch rubber sheeting (sealed to the ABS OD) work?

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Lead wool would be much safer. The oakum is a length of fibrous material that is oiled or tarred. Roll it inside the flange and around the pipe. It needs to be packed in pretty tight. Follow up with the lead wool packing it down as well around the pipe. Most plumbers will heat the lead wool to the point it melts fill any areas that could have been missed and gives it a cleaner appearance.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks