Sealant recommendation?

Users who are viewing this thread

MJDuftler

Reaction score
I've just replaced the poly line from my pressure tank to the well cap. In doing so, I had to chip/gouge out the black sealant that surround the poly/vent/wire that went through the foundation.

I spoke to the pump supply house about what to use to replace this sealant and they mentioned Water Plug and Thermoseal, but I haven't had much luck finding either.

Can anybody recommend a product and hopefully a web-site that sells it?

I'm not going to use hydraulic cement because it seems to never last even one season, and the sealant that was there lasted over 2 decades and worked perfectly.

Thanks,
-Matt Duftler

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can get a can of spray-foam, about $6 at HD or most hardware stores. It is essentially a one-shot item because the material in the dispenser stem cures and plugs up, so if you have a lot of places to seal you can do them all at once.

The foam is easy to remove when you need to service it.

You could also use roof mastic, filling the space in multiple applications. One gallon will leave a lot left over for fixing your roof.

If it is not a big hole you can get tubes of caulking compound. I recently used some "driveway crack caulking" which is probably close to the black stuff you chipped out.

MJDuftler

Reaction score
Hi Bob,

I hadn't considered the Great Stuff route. Makes sense. And I like the idea of being able to remove it easily if I need to.

Thanks,
-Matt

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks