School me on sediment filters

Users who are viewing this thread

toolittletime

Reaction score
I have a well drilled last year here in Red Rock, TX....a little SE of Austin, but we have been rving around the country and have not been home much. After it was drilled I had the water tested. Here's the results.

Iron .30 ppm
Hardness 119.7
Manganese .05 ppm
Ph 6.92

No iron or coliform bacteria present.

Drilled..... 420 ft
Water level at 160 ft
Pump set at 280ft.

The water still has a little rotten egg smell, and a reddish orange color. I have a peroxide injection system with an 1.5 cf iron filter sitting in the garage that I just ordered, but have not installed yet.

Coming into my house,I have installed a 2" rusco spin-down filter, and then a 4x20 big blue with a 30 micron pleated filter in it........this will be before the new peroxide injection and iron filter.
My problem is....sediment.....The rusco and the pleated filter clog about every 3 days and have to be removed and cleaned....pita.......but I need filtration before I install the new equipment and clog it with sediment.
There has to be a better answer instead of cleaning the filter every 3 days.
This is a 1 bath, with only my wife and I using it. I have faucets before the filters to use for gardening etc.
Any good ideas on how to remove the sediment.......it's like a fine talcum powder, that settles to the bottom of a 5 gal bucket if you let it set for 8 hours or so.

Any suggestions.
BTW.....I was a home builder for many years, so I know my way around all phases of construction......maybe I need a settlement tank???

Tim

toolittletime

Reaction score
Here's a picture of a 5 gallon bucket about half full.

well water.jpg

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The well should not be making sediment. A gravel pack or screened well should keep the sediment out. However, with a new well you may just need some development. Run the well hard for hours or even days until the sediment is cleaned up. Talk to the driller as he may know a better way for your area. But he should be involved with such a new well giving sediment problems.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think maybe a course filter like 250 to micron wye filter (just guessing on the microns) to keep out stuff that will not backwash out. Maybe the spindown filter with a course screen would be goo for that. Then inject, allow contact, and feed right into the backwashing iron filter without a cartridge filter in the way. The iron filter probably can filter down to 5 or 10 microns itself. Then stuff smaller than course sand can backwash out.

Is there a contact/mixing place after your injector? There should be a way to clean that because sediment will be created there. At least I would want the injector high and all down hill until you had something that flushes sediment. I am not a pro.

While a contact tank with a blowdown valve would be best, I am thinking you could do well by having a vertical pressure rated 3-inch pvc pipe with a valve at the bottom to blow out sediment. Then inject the H2O2 near the top. Maybe the PVC could be a single column, and maybe a U shape. Anyway, by the time the water hits the backwashing filter, there may be plenty of sediment already gone.

Last edited:

toolittletime

Reaction score
The well should not be making sediment. A gravel pack or screened well should keep the sediment out. However, with a new well you may just need some development. Run the well hard for hours or even days until the sediment is cleaned up. Talk to the driller as he may know a better way for your area. But he should be involved with such a new well giving sediment problems.

I ran the well full out for about 8 hours yesterday.......the red/ orange color is gone. The picture below is what I have now.....A little cloudy and a slight metallic taste. This is how the water was when we left last spring....we were gone for 4 months.
well water cleared up 10.30.21.jpg

After adding a few drops of peroxide the water almost instantly cleared up, and I have a colored sediment at the bottom, which I assume is iron.

Also there is no iron taste or smell.
well water with peroxide 10.30.21.jpg

I am installing the peroxide injection/ iron filter today and will report back with some picture of the results.

My question now is....what should I do with the well while we are gone for a few months......will the orange color return if the well sits idle??

Any thoughts??

As asked above, no there is not a mixing tank after the peroxide injection....was told it was not needed for peroxide, but was needed for chlorine.

Tim

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I ran the well full out for about 8 hours yesterday.......the red/ orange color is gone. The picture below is what I have now.....A little cloudy and a slight metallic taste. This is how the water was when we left last spring....we were gone for 4 months.View attachment 78242

After adding a few drops of peroxide the water almost instantly cleared up, and I have a colored sediment at the bottom, which I assume is iron.

Also there is no iron taste or smell. View attachment 78243

I am installing the peroxide injection/ iron filter today and will report back with some picture of the results.

My question now is....what should I do with the well while we are gone for a few months......will the orange color return if the well sits idle??

Any thoughts??

As asked above, no there is not a mixing tank after the peroxide injection....was told it was not needed for peroxide, but was needed for chlorine.

Tim

Some get worse when they sit idle, some don't. I would at least pump is out hard again after sitting for a long time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks