Schluter linear drain - water flow question

Users who are viewing this thread

Workhurts

Reaction score
I have the channel body of a 56" linear drain installed at the curbless entrance of the shower. I have 4 showerheads (2gpm). Shower is 7' deep and 5' wide. 2" drain pipe.

With all 4 shower heads turned on everything drains properly. Have the Kerdi membrane in but not tiled so just experimenting to make sure it all works prior to tiling.

I can't test everything with the grate frame and grate in place prior to tiling, as the grate frame would block the drain. Is there any reason to think the addition of the grate will cause issues with drainage? My grate is a solid grate, so water flows into the drain at the edges. I could get a perforated grate but prefer the solid.

Will call Schluter but have a feeling they wont be super useful.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It sounds like you are describing the tileable grate. The opening around its edge should be fine to drain things. In some ways, it has advantages over the perforated ones...there is no path across it for water to continue to flow out. Schluter does make a flexible blade type profile to help prevent water from escaping into the room that may be useful. You can step on it and it will collapse.

Sluggo

Reaction score
That type of drain has more drainage area in total around the edges than standard drains. I have essentially the same drain design and size in my master bath, and two shower heads, and it's fine. I'm curious why you would worry that a company like Schluter would offer linear drains that aren't functional...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks