Schluter Kerdi Warranty Extended

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
As of the first of the this year (2013), Schluter's warranty on a Kerdi shower install has been extended to 10-years to keep it in line with much of the rest of the industry...it's not that they changed the material or the installation instructions, it's just that it was a good, safe thing to do. In talking with one of the reps, he said that in the 100,000 Kerdi showers he'd sold over the years, he had 6 reported failures and after investigation found that they had not been installed per the instructions (primarily, insufficient or non-existent overlap of the membrane with the specified thinset). They showed a picture of one guys installation where he used 8-penny nails as spacers hammered through the membrane (since that's the way he always did it with CBU), that obviously had moisture intrusion issues...I'm not saying that there may not have been other failures, but those were the ones reported to Schluter for resolution. That's a pretty impressive track record. I'm in a workshop to get caught up on the latest products and methods, and this was one of the tidbits that came out in discussion. The system has been around for a long time, works, and works well if you install it properly.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
That is strictly by the book of their installation manual - IOW, any dryset mortar that meets the specifications laid out in that document. Now, I'm assuming this change has also been made to Canada, but have not checked....the 2013 Schluter Kerdi Installation handbook warranty terms have changed to ten years, nothing else in the warranty has changed. If your installation fails, and it was a materials issue, they will help you rebuild your shower. Read the warranty for the exact terms and conditions (there's no fine print).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks