Schluter Kerdi Membrane Source?

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I'm tiling around a bathtub over a plaster wall.
Have decided to use the Schluter Kerdi membrane.

Where is a good source for this?
Preferably a place in the Indianapolis, Indiana area where I can just walk in and buy it.

But I'll order online if I have to.

Thanks for any input.

Reaction score
I tried Home Depot here, and they only stock the "waffley" looking stuff for floor tiles.
Said they have to order the Schluter Kerdi membrane.
I figure I can order too, but just need to know the best place, service wise and price wise.
Still would prefer to be able to just walk in and buy it if possible.
Thanks. :)

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
Check that Internet auction site whose name cannot be mentioned - several listings there selling it by the yard.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
No Gypsum in shower renovations. Use cement board with your Kerdi Source

I'm tiling around a bathtub over a plaster wall.
Have decided to use the Schluter Kerdi membrane.

Where is a good source for this?
Preferably a place in the Indianapolis, Indiana area where I can just walk in and buy it.

But I'll order online if I have to.

Thanks for any input.

Plaster walls are not an acceptable backer board for showers.

Niether is drywall.

I would suggest you replace your plaster walls in the shower with cement board, hardie board or Green EBoard before installing your Kerdi Membrane. Also check with your tile supplier that non-modified thinset is acceptable for your tile choice. Many require modified thin-sets and Kerdi does not accept this.

If you can't find Kerdi you can easily replace it with the Wedi's membrane, Jaegger's membrane, Dal Seal TS, Noble's Wall Seal or Noble's Noble Seal TS - any of the later membranes accept both modified and unmodifed thin-set.

If you decide to build in a shower niche or two you might consider a liquid membrane like Hydro Ban, Red Guard, HPG or Aqua Defence. All great products and make building a niche a little easier. Like with sheet membranes drywall or plaster walls need replacing before waterproofing.

Good Luck.

JW

Last edited by a moderator:

John Bridge

Mudmeister
Reaction score
Website
johnbridge.com
John Whipple said:
Plaster walls are not an acceptable backer board for showers. Niether is drywall.

Plaster walls certainly are acceptable for Schluter Kerdi membrane, and so is drywall. Manufacturer's specifications always trump standards, and the code sanctions it.

I suggest you do as Jim states above. Give Schluter a call. They'll help you find the best deal in your area. :)

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Your Kerdi Source - remember Dry Wall is not allowed in shower builds.

John, maybe years back when you where setting tile for a living but things have changed some. Drywall should not be used in a shower.

I'm sure Schluter will say it's OK - they are in the business of selling product. Kind of like you and your ebooks and DIY guides. You promote Kerdi and I'm sure you have done hundreds of showers that way.

The TTMAC, ANSI, TCNA and the Gypsum organaziton all say no. Call them up as well and if you get even 2 of 5 that say it's OK then maybe go ahead. Remember you need a Schluter rep to visit the jobsite or you may have warranty issues. Then there is this business of using non-modifed thinset only.

So much easier to work with pretty much any other membrane really. I notice John your switching over to Hydro Ban of late and using it to reinforce your Kerdi Seams! Smart move, I've never trusted them on any of my jobs either.

If you call Schluter ask if it's OK to use Hydro Ban on your kerdi seams - see what they say. Might make you think again about the advice you read above about drywall being OK in showers...

Just saying.

John Bridge and I are both members of the NTCA. NTCA stands for National Tile Contractors Association. On Link'din there is a members group for this NTCA association and I have a poll running now for a number of months. Here is a peak at what more NTCA Link'd in members think about drywall in the shower.

Understanding the source of your information is key when researching online. John Bridge's online store sells Kerdi and he also sells Kerdi How To Advice, this is his job. I build showers and need to pass inspections here in Vancouver and our inspectors follow the industry guidelines that do not allow drywall in showers. John Bridge has a tile forum of his own and I'm sure his presence here after all these years of barley posting is in an effort to slow down my efforts of bringing awareness to these issues of mis-information online.

Perhaps leave some drywall in a little dish of water and watch how far water can wick up the board. The only backer board I have witnessed that wicks water more is Kerdi Board. Like drywall Kerdi Board would self destruct if not properly waterproofed.

Mr. Bridge since we have your attention can you post a video of your "Magic Vortex Fold"

I have proven this wrong month after month and none of your Schluter reps or fans can show me how you did it. I laughed when I say your pictures and your holding it over a sink. :) That's funny.

California like every state I believe has had these restrictions on backer boards for a number of years. Here is a city of Paulo Alto report.

http://www.cityofpaloalto.org/civica/filebank/blobdload.asp?BlobID=17678

JW

Last edited by a moderator:

John Bridge

Mudmeister
Reaction score
Website
johnbridge.com
It's not what you and others may "think." It's about what you actually know. Read up. :)

Start with the International Plumbing Code, go on to the TCNA Handbook for tile setting and finish up with Schluter specifications. As I've said before. Standards are voluntary and are subservient to manufacturer's specifications. Codes do not become law until adopted by State and local jurisdictions.

As to the TTMAC (Canada's tile and marble organization) Dale Kemster is in charge of training. Dale is also Schluter's technical director for Canada. Argue with him about the suitability of drywall in showers where a full sheet membrane is used. His office is in the new Schluter building in Montreal. You can contact him via the Schluter web site.

Then I want you to tell these good folks how long you've been in the tile business. I've been at it for nearly 40 years.

As to my continued setting tile, I've retired about six times now, but I'm still going. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks