Schedule 40 PVC vs. Schedule 40 Foam Core PVC

Users who are viewing this thread

Fran

Reaction score
schedule 40 pvc v. schedule 40 foam core

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My husband and I are building a house. The builder(gen'l contractor) signed a contract with the plumbing contractor for Schedule 40 PVC and now we see there is Schedule 40 Foam Core in the house. The walls are not yet closed. We said we wanted the sch. 40 pvc. The builder and Charlotte pipe say sch. 40 foam core and Sch. 40 pvc are the same. We have done research and have found out that foam core is 30% less in cost and lighter and less durable. The builder said we should do a survery of plumbers in our area and see what they use. If they don't use foam core we might have a case. I contacted 10 plumbers and all said they would not use foam core. We also asked the builder what he has in his house. He said he was not sure. We said if you have foam core in your house that's good enough for us. He still has not contacted us since yesterday, although I did fax him my survey responses. What do you think? Are the two pipes of equal quality? Are we being to picky? This is an expensive custom house that, until up till now, has been built beautifully (both structurally and visually).

Thank you in advance

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pvc

We do not use PVC in this area, but since a DWV system is not a pressure system, I cannot see why you would have any problems with the installed piping.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
First, sch. 40 is sch. 40. But, I did not think that foam core was sch. 40.

Out here ( San Diego) foam core ABS is used almost exclusively in residential consruction. It is not sch. 40. There have never really been any issues. It has been in use for over 40 years.

Fran

Reaction score
On the east coast Charlotte Pipe and Foundry makes PVC "solid wall" schedule 40 DWV pipe and also PVC "Foam Core" schedule 40 DWV pipe. The contract between the plumbing contractor and the general contractor (builder) states schedule 40 PVC is to be used. Charlotte PVC foam core is what has been installed. The walls are not yet closed in so changes can still be made.

Fran

Reaction score
P.S. Charlotte Pipe says their foam core has been in use for about 17-18 years.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
master plumber mark

foam core pipe is OK... it is a little cheaper but the good thing is it is supposed to be more quiet too...

the only place that foam core is not supposed to be used is under ground in concrete slabs...

sch 40 pvc will probably last about 600 years out of sunlight

sch 40 foam core will only last you about 575 years.....

I dont think any of us are going to be around when it finally starts showing signs of failure.

dont worry about it too much....its just fine.

Fran

Reaction score
Thanks Mark. You make sense. The only thing is that we don't know if it's under the concrete slab. It is sticking straight up and adjoined the the concrete slab, but we don;t know if it actually runs underneath. How would we be able to tell? Thank you again in advance.

Mike Swearingen

Reaction score
Website
www.albemarle-realty.com
Check with your Building Inspection Department for the local code on this. If it's againat code, the plumbing sub is going to have to do it right with Sch. 40, even if he's installed the foam core in the slab.
You should be able to tell from your house plans where that pipe is running (slab or not), and what is the direction from what you can see to the main drain outfall? Either should tell you.
Good Luck!
Mike

JDkimes

Engineer
Reaction score
If a pipe is "Schedule 40" it meets the minimum ASTM standards for materials, workmanship, dimensions, sustained pressure, burst pressure, flattening, and extrusion quality. By meeting these standards you are assured of some certain quality.
You're worrying about nothing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks